Alan... No Stephen Paul Mic?

Who says either one "dropped the ball"?? Look - it's a dream that could come true and might have if Stephen Paul had lived. But he didn't. Might happen some day - in the meantime, life intervenes and can't stop on account of this dream. Nobody dropped the ball: Stephen is dead and so far, these guys have been trying to make sure his dream doesn't die with him. They could have said "too bad for you" and walked. That hasn't happened, but who could be surprised at the delay? The idea is to set a new standard - not exactly a weekend project, if it can be accomplished at all.

Piling the horseshit on them isn't going to make a mic appear any faster, if it ever does come to fruition. Instead we might consider thanking them for at least not tossing the plans in the dustbin when he died.
thats all sweet sentiment, but Im an asshole and I play one on TV.....:D

Ive come to like Alan, so Id rather not post on the subject because I dont have all the facts.....but there really have been many press releases, etc saying it was coming soon, and if it was this far out, these releases shouldnt have happened.....

it was at the 2004 AES saying production was starting in the first half of 2005.....

January 2005 EQ ONLINE sayed they were shooting for March 2005....

the mic took a Pro Audio Review Excellence Award for 2005 (reserved to products set to ship by June 2005)....

NOW, I have zero problems with how long the mic is taking....i hope it is all cracked up to be, even though its out of my price range/needs....i hope so because Stephen, for all his personality quirks, was a genius and it would be great for his dream to become a reality.....

BUT, when you put press out saying release is 2005 and 2 years later its not here, wouldn't you expect people to assume someone dropped the ball?....and all 3 examples/releases were done after his death.....

The main thing we should all take from this thread is that DJL is a massive peckerwood, and this thread was never really about the mic in question.:)

Wow? this is an old subject? how many years has everyone been waiting now?

Anyways, from reading what Stephen Paul had written in the past? I personally got the impression Stephen Paul wanted to craft the best mic he possibly could using only precision components and the best materials money could buy coupled along with the finest craftsmanship in the business regardless of cost? even if that meant the mics would have to retail for $10,000.00 or more. Stephen Paul did not want to sacrifice any quality by trying to cut corners just to try and keep the budget down. And from reading what Alan Hyatt has written in the past? it was and still is my impression Alan Hyatt is dedicated to selling affordable/budget products. Is Alan Hyatt really prepared to finance a multi million dollar USA mic factory and hire qualified craftsmen when he can get cheaper capsules, switches and etc from China? Now this is just a guess on my part but maybe, just maybe because Tony Merrill is a pro and Stephen and Tony were friends Tony wants to honor Stephen?s request (and his own convictions) by crafting only the finest Stephen Paul mic and Alan Hyatt is not willing or financially prepared but instead still wants to cut corners and mass produce the mic to retain his dedication to selling affordable/budget products because the budget market is bigger. So ?maybe? that is one of the reasons why Tony isn?t returning Alan?s calls or emails. Now don?t misunderstand me? even if I personally think Alan Hyatt is a snake oil type salesman? none the less Alan still is a smart businessman and may he thinks its better to try and blame Tony Merrill for the delays rather than admitting he (Alan Hyatt) may have bitten off more than he can chew. Of course some of this is just speculation on my part but none the less someone dropped the ball? so it would be interesting to hear what Tony Merrill has to say? was the ball dropped by Tony or Alan? Who?s fault really is it? Tony not being able to deliver or Alan not willing to pay for the best?

Obviously? someone dropped the ball. I?m just speaking what?s on my mind out loud and not trying to win any of your popularity contest so before any of you go off into name calling or PMI employees, family members or friends flame me or Alan threatens to beat me up again or sue me or ask that I be ban again let me assure all of you I won?t be posting here again for many years again. All I ask is that you consider everything we?ve seen so far and ask yourself what the hell really happened? Is PMI going to finance Stephen Paul?s dream by producing the best or produce Alan Hyatt?s budget version of Stephen Paul?s mic or neither. Who really dropped the ball? Tony Merrill or Alan Hyatt?

This is not DJL, unless he's gone to college and learned grammar and syntax in the last two years. Just someone else stirring the pot.

If anyone has dropped the "Stephen Paul mic" ball, it is Stephen's right hand man Tony Merrill, as from memory, it was primarily Tony who was to continue the development of the mic (financially) supported by PMI.

:cool:

Just got an email back from Tony. He is going to be switching shops in the next week or two. He and I are going to try and meet next week.

If I have a chance I will ask him what is up with the progress of the mic. I'd like to offer to help things along if he wants the help. We'll see what he says.

Alan, anything you or Brent want me to tell him?

Back