A single photograph of the Earth from space.

I didn't know about point L1. I'll have to look that up. When I studied Newton's gravitational equations we only did really basic stuff which just gave you a very basic single altitude for geostationary satellites independent of their mass.

Just rechecked - its to do with the angular velocity - I knew it was independent of the mass of the satellite but it you alter its angular velocity you alter its altitude

I didn't know about point L1. I'll have to look that up. When I studied Newton's gravitational equations we only did really basic stuff which just gave you a very basic single altitude for geostationary satellites independent of their mass.

Just rechecked - its to do with the angular velocity - I knew it was independent of the mass of the satellite but it you alter its angular velocity you alter its altitude

I'm not really familiar with LaGrange points myself!

I'll just go pour a drink while I wait for the first person to claim it's a fake and part of a government/NASA conspiracy.

I better be quick though.

It's a nice composite.....again.

From the article:

"NASA’s Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera, or EPIC for short, produces pictures by combining multiple images taken in different wavelengths ".

Still no picture of earth from space. Just a composite, as usual. Thanx for confirming that. :)

Besides, I thought there were thousands of satellites surrounding earth. Wouldn't it look more like this?

Probing satellites? mysterious death tumbling / Clean Space / Space Engineering & Technology / Our Activities / ESA

I'm not going to ruin your thread. But I think it's a legitimate question.

---------- Update ----------

Didn't have to wait long, Bobbsy. :)

Nobody has to claim it's fake. NASA confirms it's a composite.

Just so you guys know, I'm un-subscibing from your thread. I'd rather not ruin it for you guys. Otherwise, I'll have to respond to whatever stupidity you guys try to spew and then I'll be accused of trolling, which isn't the case.

I'd rather let you guys enjoy your little fantasy. I've already made my point in the other thread where nobody was able to answer any of my question, even with all your "higher education". :laughings:

Enjoy the confirmed composite IMAGE (not picture), that somehow manages to take pictures right through satellites. It's magic!!!! :D

Enjoy. :)

RAMI, do you know how big a satellite is compared with earth? Why not stick a pinhead on a huge window (and I mean really huge) stand a long way back from the window and look at an object just outside the window. You won't see the pinhead.

So what if it's a composite? It doesn't mean that its not a photograph. Its a composite photograph.

Lol. :laughings: Every photograph is a composite - a digital photograph is composed of tiny, differently-coloured squares. It's still a photograph. Anyway, Rami, you've failed to understand what you have read. The image that has been taken for scientific purposes i.e. weather prediction, is a composite of COMPLETE IMAGES taken at different wavelengths in order to glean the maximum amount of information. The wavelength could be from any useful area of the spectrum, including infra-red, radio, visible light, ultra-violet and so-on. The reasons for this are many, but a useful one is to penetrate through cloud cover.The whole Earth IS in every picture, but they might be overlaid to get a full-colour photograph.

Last edited:
Only a Polaroid is acceptable.... ;)
haha, unfortunately they don't tend to send instruments into space to satisfy the requests of the foilers. They do it for obtaining useful scientific data. While "holiday snap" of earth would be quite nice its probably of limited scientific value.

I'd assume that the absolute minimum weight a camera could be to withstand the cold of space and still operate would be about 1kg. Has anyone here calculated the thrust needed to achieve escape velocity for even a 1kg mass? Its surprisingly high. Not even atoms can manage it and they travel very fast and weigh fuck all.

Not one single photograph exists of RAMI's brain. I therefore deem that it doesn't exist.

I don't believe any of you internet people are real.

You are all living inside of my brain.

I just know it.

Could you guys please shut up for a while?

Please?

Just this once?

I wonder what silence really sounds like....

Absolutely not trolling or looking for trouble, but why is it so unlikely that a pic of the earth was taken from a million and a half miles away?

Listen, troublemaker.

The problem is the fake/altered composite photographs of the earth...not the distance from the earth that these fake/altered composite photos were taken from.

You better keep up here, TM, or you might get the B@!!!

Absolutely not trolling or looking for trouble, but why is it so unlikely that a pic of the earth was taken from a million and a half miles away?
I don't know. Has something to do with it all being fake. I don't know what the point is and why we aren't still faking it. Fuck, I'd have fake colonies and fake moon people and shit. Fake trade with fake spacemen. It would be fake awesome.

Just for the record, "composite" doesn't mean "fake".

To quote NASA:

This camera actually takes a handful of 10 images at a time using a variety of narrowband filters—all the way from ultraviolet to near infrared—in order to produce a wider variety of scientific products. And it is the red, green, and blue channel images form this spectrum that are used in the images of the Earth.

If combining separate red, green and blue images is construed as fake then 90% of what you see on TV is fake since professional cameras tend to have 3 chips.

Ah well, I should realise that using logic to discuss things with a conspiracy theorist is like batting my head on the wall...

Back