‘Rich Men North Of Richmond’ Oliver Anthony's viral video 20 million views in 9 days Damn!

On a related note - I'm an authorized Lennox dealer and they just sent out a notice last week announcing that they will cease production of their oil furnace line due to slumping demand. Of course, we don't have oil furnaces down here - but I found that interesting. A sign of the times, I suppose.
Oh yeah. Heating with oil is on the way out. It will outlive me but not by 100 years. In New Hampshire the share of the heating pie for oil has gone from 69% to less than 40% over the last 20-30 years. I'm a dinosaur selling liquid dinosaurs in a dinosaur industry. Yay.

On a related note - I'm an authorized Lennox dealer..
I'm a big Lennox fan.

I was a tile contractor / K&B remodeler for about 20 years...Same deal never had to advertise, provided a great finished product that I could stand behind and chargeda fair price...Worked well enough for me for me. One my vendors offered me the opportunity to run a new company for him and the rest is history...what a long strange trip it's been.

I'm a jack of all trades as was my Pop's. Do most all of my own plumbing and electrical and have installed a full AC / Heating system twice now in the house I've lived in for 35 years. This one is getting long in the tooth ( 10 years ) and low seer rating so I'm getting ready to go for #3 r&r . Here in Cali I can't buy the system direct I have to purchase through a contractor but that's pretty easy to do these days.

If you ever travel to Virginia again...you should drive the 120 mile length of Skyline Drive....

I lived in Virginia for many years before coming back to Texas. Did the Skyline drive many times. Love it. I bounced around from state to state for while making two stops in Va. The 2nd time we almost bought a house on the Shenadoah. The house sat on top of a hill over looking a bend in the river just outside of Front Royal. We got outbid by a lot on that house. Oh well.

LOL back before grandkids we had visions of blowing out of Cali to somewhere less lefty and more affordable.....Grandkids happen...game changer...a true bonus round but we aren't going anywhere that will cheat us out of missing out and watching them grow and hanging with them till they don't want to hang...
Well, I'd invite ya to move to Austin, but holy crap, we got too many californians already!!!! My travel days for work are long gone, so no plans to come out to SoCal, but if I do, I'll let you know and we can have another beer.

Reactions: TAE
Hey Chili. Remember we spoke, I don't know, maybe two or more years ago. I finally did it, made that move. Although I do miss the beach, anytime at me leisure, the change of pace is refreshing....although at times I'm as busy as ever. If you're (somewhat) serious, try the Bedford Va area, Bedford County. At the foot of the Blue Ridge. Looking up at the Peaks of Otter, rolling hills, it's beautiful, orchards here and there. Low taxes, salt of the earth good people, nice area, headed west about mid-way between Lynchburg and Roanoke. Try the north side of rt. 460. Prime real estate, prices are going up, get it while you can. God's country.

Interesting factoid: Per capita Bedford lost the most sons of any town/community within the US on D-day, and there after, "The Bedford Boys". Is said to have been the inspiration for the film Saving Private Ryan. There is a pretty cool national D-day memorial in town, a somewhat emotional visit if you're so inclined. Incidentally, conscientious objector and thus medic war hero as depicted in the film Hacksaw Ridge, Desmond Doss, was born and raised there in Lynchburg, Va.

Anyway, something to consider. Hope all is well.
Sounds nice, Mick. Yeah, I remember our conversation a bit. My daughter graduates high school next year and I'm free to move where ever. We will want to stay close to her for her first 2 years of college, but doesn't have to be too close. Texas is still number one place to retire, just away from Austin. Two of the three bands I'm in are picking up steam, so I am not ready to leave them just yet. Still, that drive through Va was nice. Tennessee, too. I can see myself 20 miles north of Chattanooga. So many choices.

On topic, I haven't given that song a listen yet. Guess I should do that one of these days.

I lived in Virginia for many years before coming back to Texas. Did the Skyline drive many times. Love it. I bounced around from state to state for while making two stops in Va. The 2nd time we almost bought a house on the Shenadoah. The house sat on top of a hill over looking a bend in the river just outside of Front Royal. We got outbid by a lot on that house. Oh well.
Front Royal? Nice area! Luray Caverns is just down the road a bit. I've visited Luray Caverns twice.

I'm not all totally down on larping. Hell, in a way it's what performing arts is all about, isn't it. Honestly, I haven't been closely following the Oliver Anthony drama, mostly just what I've read/seen here. But it seems some who weren't particularly fond of the whole thing or cared for the guy were all of a sudden giddy and on board, "See, he doesn't have an accent, and he's not even racist!" What does that tell you(other than pwning the right)...tell you about the same folks who sit their ass in a seat and possibly onstage at Austin City Limits saying, isn't old timey hillbilly music just wunnerful.

Lookee there, quoting myself.

I had a thought I neglected to mention....and it's a fire starter!

These yanks larping hillbillies on the likes of Austin City Limits, it's like vaudeville, and blackface. You get the negro without the negro.

Oh hell, I done done it now, let the games begin!

I had a cabin on the river in 1974, about 150 ft. from the bank. No indoor plumbing - outhouse about 50 ft. away. First trip up each season we had to sweep the place for snakes. They were all up into every little crevice. Black Rat Snakes, usually. I can't even remember where it was now. . .

[Not me]
mi.jpg

I have been meaning to get there. Is it worth it?
Luray Caverns is the biggest - and most commercial - of all the Shenandoah Valley caves. Certainly worth a visit (I've been twice) but I'd recommend Skyline Caverns first, it's about a mile from the Front Royal entrance to Skyline Drive. Most of the cavern systems in the valley are similar - yes, I've been to every one of them!

Luray Caverns is the biggest - and most commercial - of all the Shenandoah Valley caves. Certainly worth a visit (I've been twice) but I'd recommend Skyline Caverns first, it's about a mile from the Front Royal entrance to Skyline Drive. Most of the cavern systems in the valley are similar - yes, I've been to every one of them!
It is about a five hour drive for me. If I am to go I will have to get a hotel room.

Me and a buddy rode our bikes up The Drive and wound up spending the night in a large, open cave. Just a large opening in the front wall of a cliff only 50-some feet from the road. Inside, there was an underground spring with water so clear it was virtually invisible. We didn't know there was water there until we started climbing down the edge and disturbed it. Really freaky. We could see straight down in incredibly sharp detail to what seemed like 100 ft. to the bottom. Ice cold, it was. We built a large campfire to keep warm overnight. Other than that, we didn't disturb anything.

Circling back....

He is having a good time 3 weeks and 53 million views

1693657978130.png

And then....

1693658125175.png

@SHEPPARDB, you rarely post, but whenever you do post, you post valid opinions.

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to understand why it is that Oliver's lyrics ignited a fire in Democrat underpants.

The lyrics are straight forward.
I think it had more to do with Reps pushing it on Twitter and other platforms. Pretty obvious from listening to the guy talk about himself that he never intended to be a spokesman for a political party. It is just one of those things that people latch onto, and cause it to go viral.

This guy’s career is taking off like a rocket!

Here he’s playing with Shinedown and Poppa Roach.

Just hope he’s prepared for the rapid ascent. It’s tough going from unknown to famous overnight.

• Love
Reactions: TAE
The guy is supposed to be here next week for the Louder Than Life festival. It's a 4 day music event starting Thursday, and going until Sunday. He won't be on the main stage, but will be on a smaller one called the Big Bourbon Bar on Thursday and Friday.

The main stage will have Foo Fighters, Pantera, Tool, Weezer, Green Day and other big name acts. Last year, they had about 170,000 people over the 4 days.

His instant fame and success is likened to winning the lottery. He seems really well grounded when interviewed. You don't write a song like that without having gone through the school of hard knocks. With the fame and fortune that has come his way comes many trappings and temptations. Hoping he can keep it together and have a nice long and successful career...The odds are against him but he's already beat the odds once.

According to the National Endowment for Financial Education, 70% of lottery winners go bankrupt within a few years. Obtaining more money often leads to careless spending and the desire to get more money, and the greed can be destructive to the lives of winners and their families.

This guy’s career is taking off like a rocket!

Here he’s playing with Shinedown and Poppa Roach.

Just hope he’s prepared for the rapid ascent. It’s tough going from unknown to famous overnight.

Kick ass video BTW!

I particularly like the beginning of this one...

Back