cold, cold ground

I feel you on doing it how you like it, how you feel it should be. I have songs that, even if I were a rock star who could put out whatever I wanted and sell lots of copies, they still wouldn't be radio songs. I have one song from years ago (which I'll re-record at some point with my new setup and evolving knowledge) that a guy who works with a band that we all know and hate (they come from my hometown, so I and everyone I know knows the band to some extent) listened to and told me that it just needed a few changes (like a chorus) to be single material. I couldn't get him to understand that in no universe would that song be a single. It's long, and it doesn't repeat much. I approached it like a horror movie more than a song. Yes, it has catchy parts that could be arranged to make a song for short attention spans, but then it wouldn't be what it was meant to be. I guess in the world he lives in, they only think about music in terms of what can be played on the radio. Sad.

That being said, I'm not suggesting you construct the song any differently as far as arrangement or anything. Really, just the vocal idea that you liked is all it would take. I've come to realize how valuable the "na na na" device is (that's my name for it) when you don't have anything more to say verbally, but you need something more vocally. Nonsense melodies are great for that, a la Hey Jude, The Boxer, or The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. I'm not necessarily saying that's specifically what you need to do, but just something more with vocals than what's there now. No changing of anything that's there; it's a great song as is. Just a little addition at the end, that's all I'm suggesting. You and your song will still have your integrity. :)

Oh, thinking back to my comments last night it seems kind of pretentious in retrospect...like I'm all mr. integrity or something with these higher artistic principles! I didn't mean to come off that way, as I'm not necessarily averse to accessible or popular music. In all likelihood, I would sell out in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. lol

Record exec: Oh, and about that cold, cold ground number...we want you to chop it in half and add a breakdown for Ludacris to spit over.

Me (check in hand): Sir, yes sir!

I just meant that I personally tend to show little restraint in terms of the whole "leave 'em wanting more" idea. When I stumble upon a sound I like, I beat it to death! I really buried those ahhhs at the end with some thought of it being nice and subtle, but I now think it could be far less subtle and maybe more effective, so thank you!

Great song as always coming from you! What happened to your old soundcloud? I miss those old songs. :(

Thanks Crows!

I've been through a few accounts now on SC...I was kingseesar for a long time, scrapped that and became ape teeth (a failed experimental/instrumental stage?) and now I am...matango (awesome flick btw). I guess I need to keep starting over to keep it somewhat fresh for myself?

I just meant that I personally tend to show little restraint in terms of the whole "leave 'em wanting more" idea. When I stumble upon a sound I like, I beat it to death!

Call me crazy but when I'm listening to a great groove and really into it, I want it to continue.

Really like the song heatmiser. Listening on my headphones, the vocal seems like it has some harshness to it. I might try dipping a bit at 3k and see how that feels. There's some huge resonance in the vocal, cuts through pretty awesome, kind of envious of that. . .

Cool arrangement, liking all the instruments on this. There are some places where the comp seams jump out, I wonder if you might be able to get them to meld a little better.

I did a quick scan of the thread and didn't see a remix, so commenting on the mix in the OP.

I like this song a lot. Drums are a little roomy for the mix, but not bad. Acoustic guitar sounds good to me. Vocals sound good too, backing vocals too. I like the tremolo guitar solo. Cool wah guitar as an accent.

I can't say that there's much that I'd change here other than backing off on the room mic in the drum mix. Good job man!

great song and mix, not much I'll add mix wise, at that level there is not much I can say, arrangements are well paced and have a vibrant groove going on which I really like. Overall great mix and tune :)

Really like the song heatmiser. Listening on my headphones, the vocal seems like it has some harshness to it. I might try dipping a bit at 3k and see how that feels. There's some huge resonance in the vocal, cuts through pretty awesome, kind of envious of that. . .

Cool arrangement, liking all the instruments on this. There are some places where the comp seams jump out, I wonder if you might be able to get them to meld a little better.

Thank you easlern. You, and I think at least two others mentioned the harshness. I think Trip even mentioned about the same freq...2.5-3k. Maybe I have an aural blind spot there? lol

Comp seams as in the drums? I think those are the only elements not played through, so it must be that. Robgreen mentioned that as well. Damn! It would be really hard at this point to redo the cutting and pasting of the fills and stuff, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks again...

I did a quick scan of the thread and didn't see a remix, so commenting on the mix in the OP.

I like this song a lot. Drums are a little roomy for the mix, but not bad. Acoustic guitar sounds good to me. Vocals sound good too, backing vocals too. I like the tremolo guitar solo. Cool wah guitar as an accent.

I can't say that there's much that I'd change here other than backing off on the room mic in the drum mix. Good job man!

Tad...good to get some feedback from you. Haven't seen you around much lately. Would love to hear more of your stuff if you choose to share. Always liked your guitar sounds.

The roomy drums was a stylistic choice that was perhaps a bit overdone, but the reaction seems about 50/50 positive/negative on that. I think at this point they'll stay roomy, but I totally get that it is offsetting in a way. Glad you liked it!

great song and mix, not much I'll add mix wise, at that level there is not much I can say, arrangements are well paced and have a vibrant groove going on which I really like. Overall great mix and tune :)

Thanks much cookie. I really appreciate it. I don't think the word vibrant is used nearly enough. Cool word. Thanks!

Back