Question for those across the pond

What make me upset---and what this thread was started about---is not the well-meaning Christians of the world who do their best to serve God and be Christ-like. I think those people are great.

It's the ultra-conservative, super-intolerant, super-judgmental "Christians" taking Christ out of Christianity that make me upset. The people who publicly bash a woman because she breastfeeds in public. The people who think of all welfare recipients as nothing but lazy freeloaders. The people that think of Aids victims as "getting what they deserve."

Would Christ have done any of that? Hell no! No, no no!

Those are the kind of people that I'm talking about.

Yes, I see we do agree.

The only thing we should be intolerant of is intolerance...
When figuring out what Jesus would do, however, don't forget that flipping over money grubbers' tables and chasing criminals out of the house of God was not out of the question...

But I love this post, because it will prove a point.
If the mods close it down because it's a religious topic, then I'm right and Christmas is religious.
If they leave it alone, then I'm right and the only thing we SHOULD NOT tolerate, is intolerance.
The major problem with our society today at large is that when some read things they don't agree with, they stop reading and look elsewhere.
When others read things they don't agree with, they want to ban what was said.

Man, if you don't like the song, change the channel. :D

Yeah, I'm sorry, you're right. Any time people start calmly, rationally debating anything remotely uncomfortable to the world, the World has to shut it down. I forget this sometimes. :facepalm:

All for the best. Can't have the beagle getting all upset.

Do you think me intolerant of opposing views?

Edit: What if my son (or your son if you have one) were to turn out to be gay, and a preacher wants to put him to death for it. Would it be ok for me to be intolerant of his opposing view?

Intolerance no matter what your view point, is intolerant. No true follower of Him would preach such a thing. So, your example is not one of Christianity and is not valid.

Intolerance no matter what your view point, is intolerant. No true follower of Him would preach such a thing. So, your example is not one of Christianity and is not valid.

Oh ... ok, right. So .....

I should tolerate a racist killing a black child solely because they're black.

I should tolerate a bigot killing a gay teenager solely because he's gay.

I should tolerate Hitler killing six million Jews just because they were Jewish.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh ... ok, right. So .....

I should tolerate a racist killing a black child solely because they're black.

I should tolerate a bigot killing a gay teenager solely because he's gay.

I should tolerate Hitler killing six million Jews just because they were Jewish.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

You know I wasn't even close to saying that and you have shown an inability to be rational with an opposing view. Therefore, any further discussion would be irrational on my part.

You know I wasn't even close to saying that and you have shown an inability to be rational with an opposing view. Therefore, any further discussion would be irrational on my part.

I honestly don't know what you're saying, and I'm not just trying to play Devil's advocate.

If I were to guess, I would say that you're talking about a utopian world that's full of nothing but Jesuses. But you (and I) know that's not even close to the truth.

This buzz word "tolerant" cracks me up. The idea of never being intolerant to an opposing view is, IMHO, one of those silly sentiments that looks good on paper but is nothing but paradoxical when put into practice (unless, like I said, everyone was Jesus).

"Don't be intolerant of other people's views"

"Well ... don't be intolerant of me being intolerant of other people's views"

And on and on.

Again, I don't really know what you're trying to say. I do think it's funny, however, that you chose to single me out as being intolerant (at least I think you did? You're being very cryptic) but have said nothing of the preacher that says we should segregate the gay people so they "die out." Is he (and all the other rageaholic preachers on the subject of gays) being tolerant of others?

Edit: God himself is certainly no stranger to intolerance, what with the flooding the entire world and all.

Again... I don't have a problem with Christians or Christianity. It certainly doesn't make sense to me, but I understand that it does for a whole lot of people, and more power to 'em.

I get equally upset when atheists publicly bash Christians (or any other religions) for no reason other than the fact that they believe what they do. In my book, they're (the atheists) no different or less judgmental than the fundamentalists who think that everyone else is going to hell except the ones belonging to their church.

So ... again ... what exactly do you mean by intolerance?

I just re-read this and see that you were talking about the preacher. I earlier thought you were talking about me.

But .. doesn't the bible say that if a man lay with another man (the way the lay with a woman), he should be put to death? I'm not imaging that. The bible does say it.

So which is it? Is someone who preaches that a follower of Him or not?

I just re-read this and see that you were talking about the preacher. I earlier thought you were talking about me.

But .. doesn't the bible say that if a man lay with another man (the way the lay with a woman), he should be put to death? I'm not imaging that. The bible does say it.

So which is it? Is someone who preaches that a follower of Him or not?

That's Old Testament, though. Jeebo came along and rewrote the book.

In other news, I just went to your soundcloud page and listened to "Look Ma." That was really freakin' cool! I totally dug the sounds you got. Very nice stuff.

That's Old Testament, though. Jeebo came along and rewrote the book.

Well that's what's funny. Lots of "Christians" have no problem cherry-picking the old testament for tasty morsels when it serves their needs.

Jesus in the bible was great. I mean ... you won't find more of a bleeding-heart, tree-hugging, hippy liberal anywhere.

Last edited:
Well that's what's funny. Lots of "Christians" have no problem cherry-picking the old testament for tasty morsels when it serves their needs.

Jesus in the bible was great. I mean ... you won't find more of a bleeding-heart, tree-hugging, hippy liberal anywhere.

I learned from Wheelema in the Cave that the New Testament supersedes the Old Testament wherever it redefines something. It still counts if the New Testament doesn't overlap; otherwise, God got it wrong the first time.

I learned from Wheelema in the Cave that the New Testament supersedes the Old Testament wherever it redefines something. It still counts if the New Testament doesn't overlap; otherwise, God got it wrong the first time.

Ahhh, I see. I guess a lot of Christians haven't gotten that memo yet.

Nevertheless, I've spent too much time in here already. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

The only thing we should be intolerant of is intolerance...
When figuring out what Jesus would do, however, don't forget that flipping over money grubbers' tables and chasing criminals out of the house of God was not out of the question...

the problem I have with "what would jesus do" is that Im about 18 years older than jesus was when he copped it...so Im thinking jesus might of slept with that stripper in vegas last september....

Back