Question for those across the pond

famous beagle

Every year in America when Christmas rolls around, we get these idiots (Fox "News" leads the charge) that start bitchin' about the "war on Christmas" because some people choose to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." They manufacture more than that, but that's basically the gist.

And it's the same with Easter. There's a radio station near me on which, every year, a church runs an ad that says something to the effect of: "We all know Easter is fun for the kids, with the bunnies, the eggs, candy, and all. But it's important to remember the real reason behind Easter: the celebration of our savior Jesus Christ and his resurrection, etc."

Don't these people ever wonder where these pagan symbols, like trees (inside a house), eggs, bunnies, etc. come from? It's because these were pagan traditions long before they were adopted and assimilated by the church (both Christmas and Easter) in the hopes of selling Christianity to other pagans and followers of other religions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCIeXG4kalg

ugh ... makes my skin crawl.

But I digress ...

Anyway, my question is do people get this batshit crazy in the UK as well? Or in Europe in general? Or is just here in 'Merica?

Libtards are never happy and thus need to manufacture an argument as a means to pop off. If it wasn't so pathetic it might even be funny.

We do get it, particularly about immigration (mostly Islamophobia) and how Christmas is banned in schools so it doesn't offend other religions, but it generally isn't true. What actually happens is that in the schools they celebrate all the holidays of the different religions, including Christmas (and of course, they actually have vacation at Christmas).

Libtards are never happy and thus need to manufacture an argument as a means to pop off. If it wasn't so pathetic it might even be funny.

Wait ... huh? Liberals didn't manufacture the "war on Christmas" argument. Republicans did (and do every year now).

Ive lived here since 2010, its fucking nuts...I got rid of cable TV, that helps a little, but as much as I love the US, I hate it just as much.

Ive lived here since 2010, its fucking nuts...I got rid of cable TV, that helps a little, but as much as I love the US, I hate it just as much.

I've lived here all my life, so I don't have another country against which to compare it. But I too have things I really hate about it ... like the fact that there are lots of people trying to get creationism taught in public schools. :facepalm:

I've lived here all my life, so I don't have another country against which to compare it. But I too have things I really hate about it ... like the fact that there are lots of people trying to get creationism taught in public schools. :facepalm:

a cull of 50% of the population would certainly improve the place

thankfully it's just an american thing, we are no-where near as nuts, most people are pretty conservative in comparison. People here are still crazy though just about different subjects.

a cull of 50% of the population would certainly improve the place

Reminds me of something that ridiculous preacher said a year ago or so. I don't know if you saw it, but Anderson Cooper did a story on it. The guy was preaching about "the gays." He said, "But I know how to get rid of 'em! Put em on an island and segregate 'em ... Put the men in one camp and the women in the other camp, and don't let 'em be together. You can give 'em food and all and a decent life, but just let 'em all die out. Then they'll be gone!"

This guy was dead serious. And he's seen as a guide and a mentor to a big church. He's educating people on how they should live.
:facepalm:

edit: Found it. Just unbelievable ... the ignorance here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2n7vSPwhSU

Because I don't know why you would care, other than they don't think the same way you do. If you don't want to believe in anything, then don't believe. If Christians want to try and hang on to something they have created, both the holidays and the founding of the US, then they have a right to say so. You saying they don't have that right makes you ignorant. Which is what I am reading here.

Either everyone has a voice, or no one has a voice. It is not a matter of what is PC for the day. Free speech has to survive the whims of the day. So you giving crap about what they are saying makes you as much a bigot as the people you are mocking.

Take the stick out of your eye and you might see what I am talking about.

what? they hijacked a pagan holiday that already existed? whats the founding of the US got anything to do with it?

Dont American Jews also have a holiday around this time too hence "Happy Holidays"?

did someone mention ignorant lol

(bye bye thread)

We're discussing Christmas in July?

That's actually a "thing" over here, BTW. Christmas in Australia is hot, sun, beaches, seafood - but we all put up our pine trees with fake snow on them and snowmen decorations and Santas in big red costumes, and we take our kids to the shopping centres where some poor bastard in a fat, hot suit pretends it's winter and sits the kiddies on his knee and promises them stuff, and they send letter off to the north pole etc. etc. etc.

So when July comes around, and it's cold (relatively) "Christmas in July" happens, when people get together just for the hell of it and do Christmas all over again in a minor way, just because we miss out on the snowy, wintery thing that you lot in the northern hemisphere take for granted. True. It happens... google it. You may be surprised.

I'm a hardcore atheist, but I still love Christmas and don't really care if I'm being inconsistent or not. Peace, goodwill etc. There's no downside to that.

I post this every Christmas, and no-one ever listens.. but it's sort of my personal Christmas anthem... from an Australian perspective. Chokes me up every time...

I'm a hardcore atheist, but I still love Christmas and don't really care if I'm being inconsistent or not. Peace, goodwill etc. There's no downside to that.

I'm exactly the same. :thumbs up:

One of the very best songs most people have never heard. Got to love Tim Minchin. This song makes my wife bawl. It never really choked me until after my Mum died. Now when he says 'Mum', it kills me!

Great great song that doesn't need to be Christmas to enjoy. :thumbs up:

We're discussing Christmas in July?

That's actually a "thing" over here, BTW. Christmas in Australia is hot, sun, beaches, seafood - but we all put up our pine trees with fake snow on them and snowmen decorations and Santas in big red costumes, and we take our kids to the shopping centres where some poor bastard in a fat, hot suit pretends it's winter and sits the kiddies on his knee and promises them stuff, and they send letter off to the north pole etc. etc. etc.

So when July comes around, and it's cold (relatively) "Christmas in July" happens, when people get together just for the hell of it and do Christmas all over again in a minor way, just because we miss out on the snowy, wintery thing that you lot in the northern hemisphere take for granted. True. It happens... google it. You may be surprised.

I post this every Christmas, and no-one ever listens.. but it's sort of my personal Christmas anthem... from an Australian perspective. Chokes me up every time...

I saw him in San Diego a couple of years ago, very funny.

Our christmas dinner was normally a burritto on the beach as December is some of the best weather in SD

Back