Why must my mono songs become converted to "stereo" on cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I damn near pissed myself reading this thread.

I don't think this guy is screwin' with us. After all, he did record 80 minutes of music and that had to take quite a bit of time (even really bad tracks have to be laid down in real time, right?). That's a pretty elaborate joke. Or it could be some poor studio guy had to witness this travesty and thought it would be funny to post the songs.

Tone deaf people aren't always aware of their disability and can't always hear how badly they sing. If it's for real, that's the best explanation I can come up with.

Oh yeah, and I hate it. My original statement still stands! :D

youre telling me you can listen to soulja boy for more than 3 seconds?

and then you say IM on crack?!?!!

I mean, this guy got at least 10 seconds from me... thats like 200 something percent better!!!@!

:p:D

red stripe?

Why all the neg rep for jordan? Even if hes messing with people, it's a pretty harmless, and, frankly, amusing way.

Jordan, rock on. Do what makes you happy! I dig either your blind passion or your sense of humor, whichever's got you doing this. I will buy your songs after they are inevitably covered by some punk/ska group!

The 2nd coming of Father Time aka G.Scott Stambaugh.

Yo Jordan/F.T., you are truly & forever a WONDER to behold!

Thank you for allowing us to experience the the dawning of greatness which
is you!

well its nice to hear some nice things, i was feeling low but really fired up to do something better right away after some of the negative response, but now im going to do a video for, and stand behind this album! if anyone has a track they think would make the biggest hit video, let me know your ideas:)

its in full mono :)

Reactions: NL5
There were these guys from my home town back in High School that thought they were this amazing pop-punk band:

http://www.myspace.com/bnewshoes

I could go on for hours about how amazing this is, but flat-out, if any one element were any worse, it wouldn't be funny any longer! EVERYTHING is wrong!

But surely they're joking right? I mean when you read their blurbs about perfect songwriting and performance, then listen to "Smelly Guy"--even they can't be taking themselves...right?

Dear God, please.....:confused::eek::confused::eek:

I downloaded it. I must say I love the way you used the WTF mic placement technique on these songs. I think with a little mastering you might get some radio play. Good arrangement and great timing only add to the experience.

What is your signal chain? What mics and pre-amps did you use?

It is art and should be distributed to the masses.

You should probably work on the followup CD and stretch it to a full 2 CD set. Totally worthwhile.

I downloaded it. I must say I love the way you used the WTF mic placement technique on these songs. I think with a little mastering you might get some radio play. Good arrangement and great timing only add to the experience.

What is your signal chain? What mics and pre-amps did you use?

It is art and should be distributed to the masses.

You should probably work on the followup CD and stretch it to a full 2 CD set. Totally worthwhile.

You're right about that. This is a textbook example of the WTF mic placement approach.

The only thing I don't like about them ... is that they're just not [b said:
mono[/b] enough. Ya know what I'm sayin' ? Right now, it's just got this "faux mono" thing going on, and it's just not quite doing it for me.

hahaha. that made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanD
so i finished my album(its a 20 track album i did in two in weeks on the 4 track that sounds like my white album). so im excited for people to hear it, but whenever i try to burn it onto cd, it takes my beautiful mono mixes and the songs get split up into two channels. i think it hurts the sound. Is there anything i can do? is it really affecting the sound, or is it in my head.

The original question needs some explaining. When you take a mono mix and burn to a CD, it splits it to stereo. You are right that it makes the sound bad (judging by what I have heard). The reason is that in mono, all 16 bits are straight upright. When you split it to stereo, 8 bits to the left lean to the left and 8 bits to the right lean right. Half of your bits make the mono signal fainter. There are probably issues with phase shift going on (explains your really shrill, thin sound). You might want to invest in a CD burner that accepts mono. Many don't (as you found out).

And don't listen to any bad comments, all this can be fixed with a good mastering job. That is how the pros do it. These days, you really can't "fix-it-in-the-mix" like the good old days of tape. Those guys wasted so much time on practicing, demanding tuned instruments, great timing and excellent sound . good songs. talant etc. You get the picture. Your "new sound" bypasses all of that silly stuff. Faster to the CD pressings and to the stores!

Brilliant!

Create a stereo track by copying the mono track, then delete the information on the new track

Then....delete all the information that's left on the other track.

Then...slowly and quietly remove yourself from the room and don't breathe a word of this to anyone.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanD
so i finished my album(its a 20 track album i did in two in weeks on the 4 track that sounds like my white album). so im excited for people to hear it, but whenever i try to burn it onto cd, it takes my beautiful mono mixes and the songs get split up into two channels. i think it hurts the sound. Is there anything i can do? is it really affecting the sound, or is it in my head.

The original question needs some explaining. When you take a mono mix and burn to a CD, it splits it to stereo. You are right that it makes the sound bad (judging by what I have heard). The reason is that in mono, all 16 bits are straight upright. When you split it to stereo, 8 bits to the left lean to the left and 8 bits to the right lean right. Half of your bits make the mono signal fainter. There are probably issues with phase shift going on (explains your really shrill, thin sound). You might want to invest in a CD burner that accepts mono. Many don't (as you found out).

And don't listen to any bad comments, all this can be fixed with a good mastering job. That is how the pros do it. These days, you really can't "fix-it-in-the-mix" like the good old days of tape. Those guys wasted so much time on practicing, demanding tuned instruments, great timing and excellent sound . good songs. talant etc. You get the picture. Your "new sound" bypasses all of that silly stuff. Faster to the CD pressings and to the stores!

Brilliant!

its only going to be released on vinyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back