Maaaaaaaan. WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THIS BLUE SCREEN?!?!?!?

I just opened up the BIOS screen (don't worry. I didn't change anything.. just snooped around :p)

I saw that it did have the correct processor type and speed listed and the correct RAM listed.
Does that not necessarily mean that it is set-up for those or is it just a matter of the computer recognizing those parts?

And I was messing around with Cubase last night and saw that the bar in the little ASIO strain window by the transport control was unusually high when I had the tascam set to lowest latency (as I have always done)...Tascam problem perhaps :(?

That's just it recognising the parts. The settings as such can be a range of numbers. If you can find out exactly what model your RAM is, you should easily be able to Google what the recommended voltage and timings are for it. Like I know my RAM is best at 9-9-9-24 at 1.65v. Surprisingly pushed right up to its limit too. I tried upping it just a little bit and it couldn't handle it. So RAM is generally best at stock. Your CPU will work within a range though. They are purposefully set lower than needed by default. Unless you're overclocking, you don't need to worry a whole lot about getting the most out of it. But differences in frequency and/or clock cycles and/or voltage could make a difference beween working great and getting BSOD.

Right now, I'd just do what's already been said before messing around with that stuff though. Perhaps if you haven't already, just try a good old defrag? See if that helps any. Complete reinstall of OS and such should help if that doesn't though. I certainly wouldn't be installing stuff like macafee again though. Stick to Microsoft Security Essentials if you're using that machine for internet too. It works without disrupting everything and updates through your windows updates.

Right now, I'd just do what's already been said before messing around with that stuff though. Perhaps if you haven't already, just try a good old defrag? See if that helps any. Complete reinstall of OS and such should help if that doesn't though. I certainly wouldn't be installing stuff like macafee again though. Stick to Microsoft Security Essentials if you're using that machine for internet too. It works without disrupting everything and updates through your windows updates.

Ok awesome. Those macafee popups were annoying as shit. it really started losing its mind after i deleted it. my dad is convinced mcafee planted something :p.

I'm trying to get a external harddrive to move the files off of the PC to.
...maybe cloud storage?

any recommendations?

Get a $60 1TB Seagate Barracuda and a $30 USB3.0 hard drive case. Better, faster, stronger, cheaper, than one of those external backup drives. :D

Get a $60 1TB Seagate Barracuda and a $30 USB3.0 hard drive case. Better, faster, stronger, cheaper, than one of those external backup drives. :D

That sounds ridiculous. Tempting enough to make me use that as my main drive bypassing my computers 750gb hitachi :p

Is my computer 3.0 compatible?

Holy crap!!! I just looked at the same place I bought my 3 Barracuda's from 6 months ago for $60. They are $139 now! WTF happened to the price of hard drives? That sucks!

A USB3.0 capable drive case is just good to have in the future. Or now. Either way, the one I have will work with FW400/800, USB2.0 and 3.0. I would have to look up the model number to see exactly what I have, but there are many that are around the same price.

I felt the same Jimmy. I got my F3s for like £40 each [which is $60, the same as yours], they went up to 3 times the price because of floods. my plans spoilt for another drive at the time. >.<
Prices will eventually go down again though, so don't worry about it. Thailand just needs to get their head back on after such a huge disaster.

Same goes to you kidkage. Wait til prices come down to get yourself an external drive. Or you could possibly find a good second hand one for cheap on eBay or something. Not recommended, but if you really need it...

Cloud storage is silly expensive at the moment. You'd end up paying more than just buying the hard drive itself, even with the prices this high.

Macafee don't plant anything, but your dad is right to suspect them. What they do is worse. They use all your system resources whilst it runs, they keep using some of them after it's finished, even if you close it, rather than stop the processes and they don't even manage to catch everything that comes through. A lot of those big name, lots of money for a year subscription virus scan things are the same. >.<

If it's just for temp stuff, 2nd hand hard drive will do you good. If it's long term, wait for prices to come down and get yourself a great drive and external case.

Macafee don't plant anything, but your dad is right to suspect them. What they do is worse. They use all your system resources whilst it runs, they keep using some of them after it's finished, even if you close it, rather than stop the processes and they don't even manage to catch everything that comes through. A lot of those big name, lots of money for a year subscription virus scan things are the same. >.<
So the antivirus programs can make things run slower?
I've got avast on there atm. Installed it after the first BSOD.
Should it be deleted?

And on the drive subject, I'll probably get a 30GB USB flash drive(are they stable?) for 20/30 bucks to move the pics, videos, and audio files on to hold me off until drive prices come down.

So the antivirus programs can make things run slower?
I've got avast on there atm. Installed it after the first BSOD.
Should it be deleted?

And on the drive subject, I'll probably get a 30GB USB flash drive(are they stable?) for 20/30 bucks to move the pics, videos, and audio files on to hold me off until drive prices come down.

Avast is fairly bad too, yeah. Though slightly better than the bigger ones.
USB flash drives are cool for small amounts of data for temporary storage. generally moving files from one computer to another. But they are expensive. Spinning drives are tons cheaper. You could probably get about 100GB in a spinning drive for what it will cost you for the flash drive. But saying that, I have a 32GB flash drive myself, just because it makes things so much easier! In terms of portability especially. Just make sure it is definitely enough storage space for whatever you need to hold for the time.

Avast is fairly bad too, yeah. Though slightly better than the bigger ones.
USB flash drives are cool for small amounts of data for temporary storage. generally moving files from one computer to another. But they are expensive. Spinning drives are tons cheaper. You could probably get about 100GB in a spinning drive for what it will cost you for the flash drive. But saying that, I have a 32GB flash drive myself, just because it makes things so much easier! In terms of portability especially. Just make sure it is definitely enough storage space for whatever you need to hold for the time.

So you said Windows Security is where it's at then?

Oh, found a 32GB flash in Office Depot for 34.99 today. Good enough for me to transfer to another computer.
Amazing that there's 32GBs in that thing. I remember when 16MB on a ps2 memory card over the usual 8MB was heaven :eek:

So you said Windows Security is where it's at then?

Oh, found a 32GB flash in Office Depot for 34.99 today. Good enough for me to transfer to another computer.
Amazing that there's 32GBs in that thing. I remember when 16MB on a ps2 memory card over the usual 8MB was heaven :eek:

Definitely useful to have. I'm sure there are some that can do the job even better, but it's always worked great for me and most people I know who use it.

Yes, it's great how fast computer technology is developing. I still have an old Windows 95 machine [I think I actually upgraded it to 98 at some point], with a 1GB hard drive and god knows how little RAM. =P Now I have over 3TB and 8GB. Even in terms of consoles, we now just have small computers. My PS3 was the most powerful computer in the house until I built my PC. =P

Ok, i've got it back and now it's install time.
For some reason the disc that came with my us1800 isnt working too well, so im just going to install from the tascam website.
I'm running a 64 bit Win 7 and I'm sure last time since I didnt know the potential problems I just opted for the 64bit driver.
Now I'm able to do this right and ask: should I install the 64bit driver or the 32 bit driver?

EDIT: Is there a certain way I should install things? (DAW, interface, USB MIDI devices, plug-ins, etc)

One thing worth checking is the RAM voltage. I think that the SPD routine does not always set that to the optimal value. The recommended voltage is typically printed on the RAM stick, and you can set the voltage manually in BIOS.

Just my two bits in this longish thread.

Paul

Thanks paul :D

So would it be best for me to run everything in 32bit?
Or should my interface be 64?

64 bit OS requires 64-bit drivers for interface. Programs can run at 32-bit on a 64-bit machine, but the interface needs to be compatible with your OS installation.

Ok that's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if a 64 bit interface running in and outs to a 32bit daw would be an issue

Thanks ill post an update and hopefully thread closing post once I get things running again. Just gotta let this flu run its course first!

Back