Maaaaaaaan. WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THIS BLUE SCREEN?!?!?!?

kidkage

Bored of Canada
I'm running Cubase 6. Win 7 64 bit. Just upgraded the CPU and the RAM.
(Also just got Cubase 6)

Working on some "sick ass beats" with the "goon sqawd"

The screen has hit me twice. Both times when I'm going to freeze the channel that I've had something from Reaktor 5 recorded in :(

What's going on and how do I stop it?

It's not a happy new year :facepalm:

OH: And when I playback the Reaktor track that it crashed on (I save after everything ;)) at a part where we start pressing keys over the original sustained note we started the tracks with its starts cutting out. Like weird buffering or something.

:( :confused:

Manufacturers websites are the best bet for making sure drivers are up to date.

It seems others people are having issues with us1800 and w7; Maybe it's coincidence.

Here's one.

I didn't read it all, but it seems like he tracked it down to a plugin?

Unless overclocking just happens on it's own I'm not overclocked. I didn't set it up or anything like that. I think. Not too sure. I'm relatively new to this.

I'll check those links out once I get some sleep. I've been up for over 24 hours at this point.

I'll look into it more once I've slept and have a clear mind. It's frightening though.

So things like that can cause the blue screen of death huh? Good. I was freaked that some virus snuck in.

And tbh I didn't record anything pre upgrade to be able to judge whether or not the upgrades did it. though i do know that I was having problems with my plugins opening in Cubase 6 at the beginning. Jimmy told me it was a problem between me and using Cubase 64-bit. So I'm on 32 bit now.

:confused:

Aye. There seem to be issues with certain plugins and their compatibility with 32/64 bit.

A good idea might be to just temporarily remove all plugins and see if the problem still occurs.

Because it happens under specific circumstances, it's probably safe to rule out hardware issues I guess.
It's hardly going to be overheating/bad memory/etc.
but then, stranger things have happened,lol.

Although it's a PITA it's always better IMO to do a full reinstall after a major upgrade (CPU) ram should go without a problem although there are compatability issues between different brand sticks.
Back to basics and do process of ellimination
Sleep first tho!!!

If you just put the new RAM and CPU in replacement of the last ones [I assume you mean on the same motherboard], then it could be that the BIOS is still set for the old stuff. Newer stuff doesn't need as much power going to it and have different timings and frequencies they work at.

If you got a tech to do the switch for you, I'd imagine they would sort that out themselves though.

Aye. There seem to be issues with certain plugins and their compatibility with 32/64 bit.
A good idea might be to just temporarily remove all plugins and see if the problem still occurs.
Because it happens under specific circumstances, it's probably safe to rule out hardware issues I guess.
It's hardly going to be overheating/bad memory/etc.
but then, stranger things have happened,lol.

I was hoping I could get in the studio before I posted this reply, but unfortunately I probably won't have time to until Tuesday.
Anyway.
Yeah, I would assume if it were a computer hardware issue, it wouldn't have just happened in cubase while dealing with reaktor and freezing. That's what it was both times, and the computer was on for different amounts of time both times.
So hopefully the fact that it happened with reaktor,freezing and cubase twice isn't just a strange coincidence :facepalm:
The first time the computer was on for about 30/40 min. and I just opened cubase, messed around with some synths, recorded the part, started freezing and unfreezing and trying to get familiar with the function and then it happened.
The second time (during which it was on for probably 2-4 hours) I left the room and ran a scan with avast(no probs detected). Then came back and messed with reaktor and maschine with a friend. We were recording and deleting things and putting plugins on the recorded stuff. Then I froze the track. Then unfroze it. Then went to do something else with it and *blue screen*.
After that it was on for about 3 hours again. Recorded some more Reaktor stuff (didnt have maschine or kontakt or anything else open this time though). I saved it. Listened back to it. Then closed cubase and was on youtube for hours.
No blue screen. Browsed fine. Recorded fine. YouTubed fine. Turned it off. Played some Xbox and went to sleep.

I suppose I'll have to delete Maschine, and Komplete Elements. I'm not sure if those two programs had 32/64 options. But if they did I'm pretty sure I probably clicked 64. At least with deleting and re-installing I can be sure. Also, that way, while those programs are off the computer I can just record some spoken word or something and trying freezing that and loading it with plugins or whatever to see if it happens that way too.

Although it's a PITA it's always better IMO to do a full reinstall after a major upgrade (CPU) ram should go without a problem although there are compatability issues between different brand sticks.
Back to basics and do process of ellimination
Sleep first tho!!!
yeah I made sure that these parts would be compatible with the motherboard. The new RAM is actually the same brand as the original RAM (Kingston).
So reinstall the entire OS as in full factory restore? or just DAW stuff? :o

If you just put the new RAM and CPU in replacement of the last ones [I assume you mean on the same motherboard], then it could be that the BIOS is still set for the old stuff. Newer stuff doesn't need as much power going to it and have different timings and frequencies they work at.

If you got a tech to do the switch for you, I'd imagine they would sort that out themselves though.
Yeah, same motherboard. I did the switch myself.
What do I need to do about the BIOS stuff:confused:

I'm not sure if this will help, but when I built my PC, I installed everything and found out the new products I had purchased were not as new as I had thought. I needed to do a BIOS update. Kinda like an interface that comes with a driver CD that is not up to date. That meant starting over with installation. Bios update first.

Swap back in the original RAM. If that fixes the problem, send the RAM back. It's defective. If that doesn't work, swap the CPU back and reinstall the new RAM. If that fixes it, the CPU is defective. My money is on the RAM. In my experience, with the exception of predictable crashes that occur in the same way every time, 50% of all software crashes are browser crashes caused by Adobe's Flash software, but once you eliminate those crashes, 99% of the remaining crashes are caused by bad RAM. :D

Playing around with BIOS is really not a good idea if you're not good with computers, but definitely what Jimmy said could possibly work. But first, have a look at what timings your new RAM are made to work at and make sure the voltage isn't over the reccomended amount.
For the CPU, it's a bit more difficult. You have to kinda find the sweet spot. But every single one is different. Even the exact same make and model can differ. But I say this out of experience. When I first built my system, I had a lot of blue screens and crashes and even problems even getting into boot. But then I found the sweet spot. A lot more difficult when you're overclocking, mind you. But the same rules generally apply.

Seriously run SANDRA it's pretty good at finding bugs and incompatabilities and will stress test your machine, I still feel a complete reinstall is the way to go that way you know exactly whats going on with your drivers.
Im not a fan of pulling components if you are sure they are seated correctly leave tham well alone, SANDRA will do a ram and CPU check.

Can you tell us what the blue screen says after the "Technical Information" heading?

I find they are more than often hardware related but it can also be related to both hardware AND drivers if it is an IRQ-related error message. One of your RAM chips might be faulty or you may have some other kind of hardware conflict.

If you have multiple PCI/-e cards, try swapping slots and reinstall the drivers. Sometimes it can remedy the problem.

BSOD's can be plain nightmares as there is no direct solution or possible cause. It can even be a cable that's improperly seated or too near the power supply, etc.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Oops forgot about SANDRA. I'll run that first and see what happens.
Then I'll do the software stuff. If it still happens after that then I'll check the old parts. I had checked with both HP themselves and TigerDirect to make sure the exact parts I got would be able to just swap right in. Even got the installation instructions from HP themselves.

Oh, here's the message I got after it restarted from the blue creen:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: fe
BCP1: 0000000000000004
BCP2: FFFFFA800FA0B010
BCP3: FFFFFA800FA0BBA0
BCP4: FFFFFA801214E000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\010112-23322-01.dmp
C:\Users\Sunny\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-52385-0.sysdata.xml

Mean anything?

Does your computer go to BSOD when you resume from hibernation or sleep?

You seem to be getting a common BCCode error (fe). Try installing this hotfix:

"STOP 0x000000FE" error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 when the computer enters or resumes from sleep (S3) or from hibernation (S4)

I would install the above hotfix and try re-arranging and swapping your hardware ports (USB ports, PCI/-e slots, etc) along with reinstalling their drivers.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it you could post those two files at the bottom of your last post on Microsoft Answers and someone will help you debug them.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Back