Maaaaaaaan. WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THIS BLUE SCREEN?!?!?!?

Does your computer go to BSOD when you resume from hibernation or sleep?

You seem to be getting a common BCCode error (fe). Try installing this hotfix:

"STOP 0x000000FE" error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 when the computer enters or resumes from sleep (S3) or from hibernation (S4)

I would install the above hotfix and try re-arranging and swapping your hardware ports (USB ports, PCI/-e slots, etc) along with reinstalling their drivers.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it you could post those two files at the bottom of your last post on Microsoft Answers and someone will help you debug them.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Well, I don't put it in hibernation or sleep, I just shut it down. Put when I power it back on, no BSOD. Only happened those two times while I was working.
I'll check out that hotfix and probably whocrashed as well once I get back in there. Might not be until thursday though.

So USB ports need to be plugged in a certain way?

Oh- there's 4 or 6 USB ports on the back of my computer, and 2 on the front. Are they all USB 2.0?

If it's a relatively new motherboard, they should all be USB 2. Swap everything around into different ports.

If it's a relatively new motherboard, they should all be USB 2. Swap everything around into different ports.

Relatively new? Relative to what? USB 3.0 started shipping almost 2 years ago now. My computer is a year old and has two 3.0 slots.
If you have anything up to about 5 or 6 years old, it will definitely have mainly USB2.0 though. Be a little while til 3.0 takes over completely.

Relative to you, somegeezer!

:laughings:

Just kidding! Yes, you are right, but USB 3.0 is still newish and most people are still using USB 2 devices. My mobo is brand new and it only has two USB 3 ports.

Ok guys.
My friends vacation is over and he is back in Kentucky.
I have no more company, so I'm back here, typing on the "problem pc", ready to try and fix the issue.

I've got a lot of options here from the thread as far as what to do. Sandra, hotfix, BIOS, re-installing.
I assumed the first thing to do would be BIOS :confused:
First thing I've done is to do some research on the BIOS. I've got American Megatrends Inc. 6.03, 4/12/2010.
I've went to HP's site and looked into the updates for this model, and it looks like there is indeed a BIOS update file.
BIOS (‏1)
H-RS880-uATX Motherboard BIOS Update ►
2010-10-13 , Version:6.09, 1.62M
H-RS880-uATX Motherboard BIOS update resolves an issue with resuming from sleep mode on systems configured with more than 4GB of memory.

Now, as I've said, I haven't had the problem occur from sleep mode or anything, but should I install this anyway?

Ok guys.
My friends vacation is over and he is back in Kentucky.
I have no more company, so I'm back here, typing on the "problem pc", ready to try and fix the issue.

I've got a lot of options here from the thread as far as what to do. Sandra, hotfix, BIOS, re-installing.
I assumed the first thing to do would be BIOS :confused:
First thing I've done is to do some research on the BIOS. I've got American Megatrends Inc. 6.03, 4/12/2010.
I've went to HP's site and looked into the updates for this model, and it looks like there is indeed a BIOS update file.

Now, as I've said, I haven't had the problem occur from sleep mode or anything, but should I install this anyway?

Since 'Sleep Mode' should have already been disabled by you, then it should not be necessary. Even if it is, beware that a BIOS update can completely destroy your setup. It did IME, anyway.

That being said, I still feel it is a bad install of something, or a crappy free VST, or a possible setup or update issue on your part, or by manufacturer. If you find none of your plugs to be responsible, I would start over with update BIOS install, then reinstall OS and programs. That has just been my experience. After months of trying to figure out the problem, it ended up being a outdated BIOS, and corrupted registry by all the fixes i tried.

Just a non blaming note (not directed to you, but to others who may read this): If there are any unauthorized software on your system, there is absolutely no guarantee of any of these advices working. I have seen that sort of thing create 'huge' issues. Once again, not blaming or placing judgement, just giving facts that I have seen directly. :D

If you have introduced something new recently, remove that from the VST Plugins folder. If not, then remove every VST from your folder, then reintroduce, one at a time. If you have a butload of them, then starting over will probably be easier and more efficient.

Since 'Sleep Mode' should have already been disabled by you, then it should not be necessary. Even if it is, beware that a BIOS update can completely destroy your setup. It did IME, anyway.

That being said, I still feel it is a bad install of something, or a crappy free VST, or a possible setup or update issue on your part, or by manufacturer. If you find none of your plugs to be responsible, I would start over with update BIOS install, then reinstall OS and programs. That has just been my experience. After months of trying to figure out the problem, it ended up being a outdated BIOS, and corrupted registry by all the fixes i tried.

Just a non blaming note (not directed to you, but to others who may read this): If there are any unauthorized software on your system, there is absolutely no guarantee of any of these advices working. I have seen that sort of thing create 'huge' issues. Once again, not blaming or placing judgement, just giving facts that I have seen directly. :D

If you have introduced something new recently, remove that from the VST Plugins folder. If not, then remove every VST from your folder, then reintroduce, one at a time. If you have a butload of them, then starting over will probably be easier and more efficient.

Ok, in that case I'll skip the BIOS update. And just uninstall and re-install the plugins and such.
While theyre uninstalled I'll record something through a mic and freeze that and everything else and see if I BSOD again.
I use nothing unauthorized for exactly the reasons you mentioned :D

Also while I was waiting on a reply I started messing around with the sandra stuff: I've ran some of those hardware and software tests and have scrolled to the bottom of all pages and found some info.
It seems to refer back to "BIOS" quite a bit.
I also see that I don't have the latest service pack installed so I guess I have to go install that.
I was getting ready to do the burn-in and the startup warning
Warning: Burning-in stresses somponents. Any weaknesses may cause them to fail or become damaged permanently. Do not run unless you know what you're doing.
showed up. So I haven't done it yet as I'm pretty sure I don't know what I'm doing.
What do you guys think/suggest?

I've copied and pasted all the tips it's given me so I figured I might as well post them just in case someone has the time and knowledge to help me decipher them:

Warning W2543 - Memory hole detected may not be required. For legacy reasons (with 16-bit device drivers/hardware), most chipsets allow you to set memory holes in the legacy memory space (either in the 1st MB or between 0 to 16MB) to be used for data transfers. If you do not have such legacy devices, make sure the hole is off. Fix: Check BIOS settings and disable the hole.

Tip T2546 - Large memory modules (512MB or greater) should be ECC/Parity. Since the probability that a bit will be corrupt is the same or increases with module density, the bigger the module, the bigger the overall probability that you will get one or more corrupted bits. While these modules add an extra delay on partial writes (e.g. less than data width) as parity for the whole line must be re-calculated, the stability will be worth it. Fix: If you plan on adding more memory, consider replacing the modules with ECC/Parity modules. Do note that running plain and ECC/Parity modules will turn off ECC/Parity for the whole memory array.

Tip T100 - Large memory systems (1GB or greater) should use Registered/Buffered memory, especially if more than 2 are installed on the same channel. This improves signal quality by reducing the load on the chipset channel. While these modules add an extra clock delay due to the on-board buffers (thus CL2 effectively becomes CL3), the stability will be worth it. Server chipsets with many memory slots generally require Registered memory. Fix: If you plan on adding more memory, consider replacing the modules with Registered/Buffered modules. Do note that you cannot mix Unbuffered and Registered/Buffered modules on the same channel, but you may be able to if the chipset has multiple memory channels.

Tip T223 - CPU speed, under load, lower than rated speed. Check power management settings.
Fix: Unless you specifically want the CPU to run at lower than rated speed (e.g. to reduce power/temperature) you may be using a power setting that does not allow the CPU to reach its rated (maximum) speed even under load.
Check Power Options that you are using the Balanced Plan and that the Maximum Processor State is 100%.
You may also need to check the BIOS to see whether it has a power plan also and that it is set similarly (i.e. the maximum processor state is not limited).
*[The stat sheet thing said it was running at 3.69 GHz. Is that what they mean by "slower" since it's supposed to be 3.7GHz?
btw: I did check power options, and it is balanced/ max proc. state at 100%.
didn't check the BIOS though... because I don't know how :o]*

Notice N224 - SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate. This
information is reported verbatim and cannot be checked by Sandra. While
brand-name companies set this information most generic manufacturers use
generic data that is meaningless. This issue generates more technical support
queries than all other issues combined.
Fix: If the information is not correct, check for a BIOS update (clear
DMI pool) or fix any errors using the DMICFG tool provided with the board.
Alternatively, disable Sandra™'s DMI/SMBIOSreporting from module
Options.

Warning W314 - The video BIOS is more than 3 years old. If the video adapter has a flash video BIOS, check whether an update is available and install it. You may gain extra performance or bug fixes.
Fix: If your video card has a flash BIOS check whether an updated version is available from the manufacturer.

Tip T319 - Usually, a refresh rate of 75Hz or more is necessary to completely remove flicker from monitor screens - depending on resolution, the brightness of the display and the person itself. If you have a flat-panel (LCD) display ignore this tip.
Fix: Switch to a higher refresh rate from Control Panel\Display\Display Properties\Settings, click Advanced Properties\Adapter. Choose the highest supported.

Warning W1320 - The latest service pack available for this version of Windows has not been applied.
Fix: Service packs generally contain many fixes as well as support. Unless there is a known incompatibility you should apply the latest service pack.

Given your situation, which sounds very familiar to my recent PC build. I personally would start from the beginning. Motherboard/BIOS/OS updates from the get go. Then install your programs. I spent months trying to get shi! fixed, that was just best done in the right order. Even if you get things working, you will never know if your shoulda, coulda, was correct unless you do it in the right steps to begin with. I know, I wanted not to start over, but once I did, everything has been flawless for 6 months or so. Never a dropout, never an error, never a BSOB. Cubase has never crashed on me either. And I do not have the closing hangups, nor the long load time that is discussed redundantly on the Steinberg.net site. Flawless.....Trust me, I abuse Cubase and plugins. I still can record a track with unnoticeable latency, on a 30+track/80+channel project with a huge amount of high usage VST's running. No Freezes.

My system may be a bit stronger; but using a clean OS, setup procedures in correct order, and using your PC for only the intention of recording, will give hugely superior results than trying to make one work after the devotion to recording.

By the way, It was 'Flash BIOS' I did, that rendered my new PC inoperable. At that point I took it to a PC tech, and had him do all of the updates, and install of OS. I installed my software. It was worth $100 to have peace of mind..

Once again, just my experience....

I'm with Jimmy - some of that (particularly the processor speed) would indicate incorrect BIOS setup or registery errors.
A new set up with a friendly tech may save you a lot of grief and downtime in the future.
I would hope if you have all the software then it shouldn't cost a lot.

Ah! computers were supposed to make our lives easier.....

I've deleted all of the Komplete 7 Elements files that were on here (it was reaktor that I was using while I experience BSOD after all). Also deleted McAfee virus junk that kept popping up.
Restarted PC, opened Cubase 6, recorded myself counting to 10. And froze, unfroze, multiple times while I occasionally added a plethora of plugins to the track. No BSOD.
Then I open up an instrument track with one of Cubase's synths. Recorded, froze, unfroze, plugins, etc. No BSOD.
Then I opened an instrument track with Maschine. Recorded, (for some reason when I tried to freeze the maschine track it wouldn't happen. The freeze button wouldn't stay on though it did light up when I would click on it.) No BSOD. I saved plenty of times during the session. Now I've closed Cubase and am here. Again, no BSOD :D.
So does that mean it was likely a problem with the Komplete stuff?

Given your situation, which sounds very familiar to my recent PC build. I personally would start from the beginning. Motherboard/BIOS/OS updates from the get go. Then install your programs. I spent months trying to get shi! fixed, that was just best done in the right order. Even if you get things working, you will never know if your shoulda, coulda, was correct unless you do it in the right steps to begin with. I know, I wanted not to start over, but once I did, everything has been flawless for 6 months or so. Never a dropout, never an error, never a BSOB. Cubase has never crashed on me either. And I do not have the closing hangups, nor the long load time that is discussed redundantly on the Steinberg.net site. Flawless.....Trust me, I abuse Cubase and plugins. I still can record a track with unnoticeable latency, on a 30+track/80+channel project with a huge amount of high usage VST's running. No Freezes.

My system may be a bit stronger; but using a clean OS, setup procedures in correct order, and using your PC for only the intention of recording, will give hugely superior results than trying to make one work after the devotion to recording.

Since you suggested skipping that BIOS update should installing the latest service pack be enough?
Or are there more updates I don't know about? Motherboard?

Should I still delete and reinstall everything?

sidenote: from now on I might just skip freezing (since I think my computer should be able to handle it. I think I've got a good enough processor and and enough RAM :confused:) and just render the VSTi tracks into audio tracks (mono or stereo?) after watching this tutorial

I'm with Jimmy - some of that (particularly the processor speed) would indicate incorrect BIOS setup or registery errors.
A new set up with a friendly tech may save you a lot of grief and downtime in the future.

I do know a guy from one of my dad's stores that went to ITT tech and has fixed some stuff for us back in the day. Helped us find parts on the net, and worked on my dads nightmare 2005 desktop. Saw him a few days before I changed the parts. He gave me his number in case I needed a walkthrough.
If I take it to him how should I prep for that and what exactly should I ask him to do :o :confused:

And they do! Unless we screw them up.

No debate started here!: I think that as being the most important comparison between Mac and PC. With PC, you can make anything work on it, but you can F**K it up to hell quickly, if you do not know what you are doing. A Mac won't give you the opportunity. Most users just assume that software will just work right on a PC, only to find that there are very important steps to making sure the software you want to use, is setup to run correctly, in an ocean of maybe it can.

Initial setup of any PC is crucial IMO. One cant go doing motherboard, OS, soundcard, and software updates haphazardly out of order. It just does not seem to ever work efficiently. Just my experience tho......

He sounds like the guy - and for probably a crate of beer will sort your gremlins... Just explaining as you have done here will give him a starting point.

BTW I'm a big fan of Windows Update, should be in your start menu, run the recomended updates, especially service packs.

He sounds like the guy - and for probably a crate of beer will sort your gremlins... Just explaining as you have done here will give him a starting point.

BTW I'm a big fan of Windows Update, should be in your start menu, run the recomended updates, especially service packs.

Agreed here. Except for the update thing. If you get your W7 going strong, and do not use internet on it, no reason to go past SP1. That would probably change if you use the PC for multiple uses. I still use the internet on my recording PC for downloading tracks from (hopefully) respectable sites. But I still have updates disabled. Why create an issue? lol! I'll still get one eventually.....:D

Agreed here. Except for the update thing. If you get your W7 going strong, and do not use internet on it, no reason to go past SP1. That would probably change if you use the PC for multiple uses. I still use the internet on my recording PC for downloading tracks from (hopefully) respectable sites. But I still have updates disabled. Why create an issue? lol! I'll still get one eventually.....:D

I just opened up the BIOS screen (don't worry. I didn't change anything.. just snooped around :p)

I saw that it did have the correct processor type and speed listed and the correct RAM listed.
Does that not necessarily mean that it is set-up for those or is it just a matter of the computer recognizing those parts?

And I was messing around with Cubase last night and saw that the bar in the little ASIO strain window by the transport control was unusually high when I had the tascam set to lowest latency (as I have always done)...Tascam problem perhaps :(?

Back