The New Tone Thread

Its late and I'm amp simming with headphones and a beer (while I practice my F# Locrain of course) and I realised that I haven't posted a tone from the OCD pedal yet.

The amp sim is set to a generic nice clean tone (a little too much reverb) and I am playing through the Pearly Gates bridge pickup. The OCD Drive is set at about 9:30 to 10:00 and I am just fiddling with the volume knob.View attachment 93834

I actually like that reverb, its surprisingly convincing. You could dial it back some, but I didn't hear that telltale grainy reverb tail that some sims have. This sounds good for a direct guitar signal. That OCD has a very devoted following (the reviews on the music gear retail sites are overwhelmingly positive). But now that it's the weekend, turn up that new Blackstar and shake the walls :)

I actually like that reverb, its surprisingly convincing. You could dial it back some, but I didn't hear that telltale grainy reverb tail that some sims have. This sounds good for a direct guitar signal. That OCD has a very devoted following (the reviews on the music gear retail sites are overwhelmingly positive). But now that it's the weekend, turn up that new Blackstar and shake the walls :)
Yeah, it was expensive for a drive pedal but I guess you get what you pay for. I'm getting a new lap top through work soon and the OCD is definitely going to be living with my lap top in my travelling bag.

Yup, coffee, breakfast, a warm up, then it's time for some tones!

Interesting ...... I'm surprised that works so well.
For some reason, in my head, I kinda thought a pedal into an interface wouldn't work the same as a pedal into an amp.

This makes me curious about running a pedal into my Digitech RP360 on gigs.
I'm a gonna try that ................

And the OCD is a great pedal ..... I have their Full-Drive 2 MOSFET and one of it's modes is basically the OCD.
I like it quite a bit but I'm bored with it ...... its stay on my board is prolly drawing to a close .... I seriously want a couple of Catlinbread pedals ...... but the Fulltone stuff is great and worth the money.
I don't personally define a pedal as expensive unless it gets close to the 300 dollar mark.
But I do this for a living so like any worker I want quality tools.
Also ..... I don't fish .... don't have a boat ..... don't have any guns, motorcycle, bowling shoes, a grill ... no kayak .... big media center ..... don't pay Netflix ..... basically NONE of the stuff that everyone else spends discretionary income on ...
So since my profession is also my hobby (geez .... I gotta get a life! ) it's easier for me to buy upscale music stuff.

Just a bit of heavy riffing on the bridge humbucker followed by a bit of noodling on the split neck humbucker.

Think my mic position is a little on the dark side - think I need to be a little nearer the edge of the cap.View attachment 93842

Bob, I was surprised it worked that well too. I found it the best way to get a nice dist out of a sim.

The OCD is kind of like an amp in a box anyway. I had a friend's OCD for a while, it sounded best to me in front of a clean amp. I don't like what it did to an already naturally overdriven amp. But in front of a clean or light crunch, it was pretty bad ass. Good pedal if you want your dirt from a pedal.

FINALLY! I got to spend some quality time with a Marshall 6100 today. It's the one major model I didn't have much seat time with. It's definitely a 90s Marshall with clunky buttons and flimsy pots. But....I think it sounded really great. Fantastic clean channel. The lead channel needs some volume, but it sounded really good wound up. It has primitive tone shift and "low volume compensation" features which were pretty janky. But overall it was an awesome sounding amp and they're going under a grand for some reason. This one was $849. I'm not GASsing at all, but it was cool to finally really play with one.

you can have my 6101 combo for 500.

But they're fragile ..... mine's broken down several times when I tried to gig with it.

Ha, no I'm set. The last thing I need is an amp I don't really want that breaks down all the time. :D
to be honest I wouldn't sell it to you anyway ...... for that reason.
You're too much of a friend for me to screw you over like that.

It's broken down .... well, this is the third time.

First time I fixed it myself and the build quality was shockingly shitty.
The absolute tiniest pots I've ever seen and the biggest chip I've ever seen. A chip the size of a credit card that does nothing but switch the channels.
If the chip goes it's stuck in the last channel it was on and good luck finding that chip and even more luck getting one soldered in if you did find it.

The second time it blowed up I couldn't fix it and a friend did so costing me 330 bucks.

And, of course, it's currently blowed up although it may be something simple ..... I just don't know nor care all that much.

To me it's not a 'real' Marshall ..... it's a piece of cheap mass-market dreck from when Marshall was trying to become a multi-national electronics conglomerate.

That's kind of what it is. It's from an era where Marshall was getting a little fancy, but they didn't have the technology down yet. The one I played yesterday sounded great to me, but I can see and feel the cheesiness of the build. The switches, pots, jacks...they all seemed really chintzy. Maybe that's why I NEVER see them out gigging.

. Maybe that's why I NEVER see them out gigging.
no doubt.

Hell, this thing broke down this last time and it was sitting in my studio not moving at all with a fan blowing on it and I would even turn it off to change any of the damping switches or anything else ...... SUPER careful with it and it still blowed up.

A POS is what it is.

They do seem to have a devout legion of fans though. I've always wondered why they go for so (relatively) cheap. Maybe the build is why.

They do seem to have a devout legion of fans though. I've always wondered why they go for so (relatively) cheap. Maybe the build is why.
yeah but the little time I've spent at the Marshall forum makes me feel the guys loving it are weekend warriors at most.
I can sorta get an idea of how much a guy plays and gigs and knows about guitar and amps from reading their posts and most of those guys come across to me as posers.

I don't know that for sure, of course, but that's how they strike me.

Howdy gang. My semi weekly snoop through the forum and i come loaded with questions for the Marshtards.

I have a trip to Edmonton coming up in a few weeks and i am half assed looking at the possibility of adding a Marshall something or other to my set-up. Does anything in this this pages list of Marhsalls Stock seem like they are priced that it might be a decent deal or worth going in and test driving

Or if there might be anything else worth scoping out? I was really hoping they'd have some Hiwatt stuff but nothing as per usual.

---------- Update ----------

Also i hope everyone is well and no one has gone to jail or been bludgeoned.

yeah but the little time I've spent at the Marshall forum makes me feel the guys loving it are weekend warriors at most.
I can sorta get an idea of how much a guy plays and gigs and knows about guitar and amps from reading their posts and most of those guys come across to me as posers.

I don't know that for sure, of course, but that's how they strike me.
Lol. Oh yeah. The Marshall forum is mostly posers and bedroom warriors. Maybe that's why their 6100s still work. :D

I don't really know. I thought the amp sounded good but I wouldn't feel good about gigging with one, and I'm pretty careful with my stuff. I know you've not liked it for a long time for just that reason, and I can now see why.

Howdy gang. My semi weekly snoop through the forum and i come loaded with questions for the Marshtards.

I have a trip to Edmonton coming up in a few weeks and i am half assed looking at the possibility of adding a Marshall something or other to my set-up. Does anything in this this pages list of Marhsalls Stock seem like they are priced that it might be a decent deal or worth going in and test driving

Or if there might be anything else worth scoping out? I was really hoping they'd have some Hiwatt stuff but nothing as per usual.

---------- Update ----------

Also i hope everyone is well and no one has gone to jail or been bludgeoned.

Whoa, those prices are high as shit. Wait, do I need to convert that to american?

Just in that Marshall list, the "JCM 800 Combo" seems to be priced pretty good. The "Slash SL-5" isn't bad. The rest...yikes.

Lol. Oh yeah. The Marshall forum is mostly posers and bedroom warriors. Maybe that's why their 6100s still work. :D

I don't really know. I thought the amp sounded good but I wouldn't feel good about gigging with one, and I'm pretty careful with my stuff. I know you've not liked it for a long time for just that reason, and I can now see why.

Whoa, those prices are high as shit. Wait, do I need to convert that to american?

Just in that Marshall list, the "JCM 800 Combo" seems to be priced pretty good. The "Slash SL-5" isn't bad. The rest...yikes.

Thanks Greg. Wouldn't one be inclined to the think the Slash SL-5 to be sort of gimmicky? Like the Zakk Wylde mini stacks or whatever? Yes, I am positive the Canadian conversion is probably factored in there. I bought something last night online and the USD price was 128$ The transaction cleared my card with the conversion and totaled 178CAD.

Not a good time to be shopping over the border for me :(

Thanks Greg. Wouldn't one be inclined to the think the Slash SL-5 to be sort of gimmicky? Like the Zakk Wylde mini stacks or whatever? Yes, I am positive the Canadian conversion is probably factored in there. I bought something last night online and the USD price was 128$ The transaction cleared my card with the conversion and totaled 178CAD.

Not a good time to be shopping over the border for me :(

I'm not particularly crazy about the SL-5 myself, but I'm not crazy about a lot of 1x12 combos. Having said that, I don't think it's gimmicky. No more than any other artist amp. It's base tone is similar to the Marshall AFD or Jubilee, because you know, anything "Slash" has to sound like that. And it's pretty large for a 1x12 combo with an actual Vintage 30, so those are good things. Plug it into a 4x12 and I bet it sounds pretty good without blowing the walls down. And I think it goes down to microwatts if you're into that sort of thing. Probably a pretty good amp for recording, but not very versatile for tone. It is what it is.

Back