using Tascam DP 32 SD

shadowhankron

Hi

I am new here, Just purchased the Tascam DP 32 SD Recorder a few days ago, it looks an interesting unit, hope it works out for me.

Most of what I play is instrumential music and an odd vocal song.

What I need to ask is......I tried to record an Acoustic Guitar using Shure SM58SE michrophone but Quality of Recording was not good
even with TRIM up all the way, Can I use an External Mixer plugged into the inputs on the Tascam without doing any damage to the inputs section, your reply will be thankful.

Ron

Yes you could use an external mixer and it would not damage the inputs on the Tascam.

You mentioned "TRIM up all the way". Did you not seem to have enough gain from the Tascam to be able to get a good recording? The SM58 mic is sort of intended to be a vocal mic for close use and if it was positioned a ways away from the guitar you likely may need to have the Trim all the way up. The output of the SM58 is pretty low compared to some other mics also, particularly condensers. How far away was the mic when you tried recording? There are some threads around I believe on positioning a mic for acoustic guitar and perhaps if you can find those it may help.

I think SM58 used in this.......
Microphone Technique : Acoustic Guitar :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfqZCmFO7PA

Thanks Arcaxis

for your reply.I am glad I can use an external Mixer into the inputs of the DP32SD, without any problems, but I guess I need to keep the TRIM turned down all the way in case I get Feedback. The Mic was close to the Sound Hole on Guitar, I thought the SM58SE mic was ideal for recording Acoustic Guitar, so What Mic should I use to record Guitar...not too expensive I hope.
This is a Great Forum for fast response, thanks again

Ron

58 isn't the best for acoustic. I have used it real close on the bridge and then used a condenser around the 12th fret. Results were ok. Probably two condensers on two tracks would give you real good results. If you do one, then you will need a good room and you will want to capture the guitar at some optimal distance and that will pick up the room.

That is one reason many of us use two mics so we can get closer to the guitar and then blend the two tracks and leave the room out of the recording. I use two AKG 170's. Not a recommendation, just what I use. Good/decent vocal mic would probably serve you the best. But usually, two mics on the AG is pretty common since many want to control the low and high end of the guitar on the recording.

but I guess I need to keep the TRIM turned down all the way in case I get Feedback.
Are you listening through monitors/speakers while you are recording? If you are listening while recording, you should be using closed back headphones and not speakers. Feedback can occur if the microphone can "hear" the speakers (or headphones, but less likely) and the gain is set high enough to break into oscillation.

- You shouldn't need the mixer unless you are "mixing" in more audio for some reason.

- The TRIM knob sets the gain for the mic (or mixer if using) on that channel. You would want this set as high as possible, but just a bit less than when the OL (overload) light comes on.

- The SM58 will be OK for recording acoustic guitar. A condenser mic would be crispier with a bit more definition and clarity of higher frequencies.

- I just tried my SM57 (about the same as an SM58) and on my Tascam 2488NEO the TRIM knob needed to be about all the way clockwise to get proper gain levels while strumming or picking with a pick.

DM60.... Thanks for your help and ARCAXIS .. I take it that the AKG 170 mics are Condenser mics so Phantom power would be needed.
I have two Dynamic Mics the Shure SM58SE and SUPERLUX 108A.. I am new to Recording as I mainly play a Tyros 2 Keyboard I want to get into trying out recording "Live" with EKO 6 string Acoustic Guitar for folk guitar sound, I never knew that to place the mic at the 12th fret and lower than the Sound Hole....I am learning new stuff each day. ARCAXIS I was monotoring thru Headphones "Closed in " Any other help would be grateful..Thank You both

Ron

I have the DP-32, have never had a problem with the trim gain, I usually ran them 3/4 max. but I use 2 condensers to record acoustic guitar, another option is a pop in pickup, I have one and it works really well. I use 2 AKG P170 mics. they are pretty cheap (cost) as far as condensers go.

AKG P170 | Sweetwater.com

:D

I always went with a large condenser mic or my SM 57s for acoustic recording . I loved and still do this older M-audio condenser mic di to my Tascam 2488 ...Now going to computer recording so we will see how this goes ;)

Thanks Atkron 205, for helping..AKG P170`s seem my answer, I assume a pop in pickup refers to Acoustic guitar pickup...I am new to this recording with DP32SD... I thought myself too much TRIM but needed to get readings....Thanks again

Thanks GtrGtrGtr....I thought my Shure Sm58SE was top class Michrophone but you say SM 57`s are better, I have a lot to learn, but this is a Great & Expensive HOBBY, thanks again

So everyone seems to say Condenser Mic is my solution....with Phantom Power

thanks guys

Back in Post #2 I linked a video of mic technique where the guy was using an SM58 (I think). How does your sound compare to his? Do you feel the quality of the recording he gets with the SM58 isn't that good? The SM58 is essentially the same mic as an SM57 with an added grill and integral pop filter for voice and a slight difference in capsule. The SM57 is not necessarily "better" and for most uses, most people likely couldn't tell the difference, aside from a slight roll off of the high end. Just trying to say you should be able to get a reasonably good recording with what you have. If you have some spare cash for the P170's it will give you a different sound.

Post a short sample of a recording using your SM58. Perhaps some suggestions can be made.

This may be an interesting video of a comparison of various types of mics..... (I wish there were some in the neck position)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04vdECGx-8k

Hi Arcaxis............. I did not get close to that sound in video clip on post 2... I seem to notice in all replies and demo`s that different Mic positions play a vital role in the recorded sound.
A few hours ago I ordered the Behringer C2 Set of Mics to arrive this friday, so I will try them out along with the shure sm58, you sure know a lot about michrophones you must be a studio engineer . I enjoy learning different things about music, I was a guitar player back in 60`s..but in past years play the Yamaha Tyros 2 keyboard along with guitar.

Thanks again for your help

Thanks Atkron 205, for helping..AKG P170`s seem my answer, I assume a pop in pickup refers to Acoustic guitar pickup...I am new to this recording with DP32SD... I thought myself too much TRIM but needed to get readings....Thanks again

Thanks GtrGtrGtr....I thought my Shure Sm58SE was top class Michrophone but you say SM 57`s are better, I have a lot to learn, but this is a Great & Expensive HOBBY, thanks again

So everyone seems to say Condenser Mic is my solution....with Phantom Power

thanks guys

here is a song I recorded using the 2 AKGs, it was one of the 1st I did with the DP32 so I had no idea what I was doing:D I had 1 at the hole and 1 around the 12th fret. Hope this helps.

https://soundcloud.com/atkron205/have-a-nice-life

Atkron205

Good Song you made there a Touch of "Kenny Rogers " it sounded, The Guitar sound you got was what I hope to get with the Behringer C2 Mic`s
Thanks for your help.

Ron

Back