Tascam us1641 phantom power issue

bhooks

I recently picked up a pair of pencil condenser mics and when i tried to run them both one would show a normal level and the other was off by 5db. I first thought I had a bad mic so i ran each one separately and they both preformed perfectly. the only conclusion i could come up with was the phantom power would only work for one mic. has anybody else had this problem. I have resorted to ordering another outboard phantom power supply.

It's not impossible that something has happened. I would say that something has been connected/disconnected at some point while the phantom power was on and possibly damaged something. Just a guess. I've got a US-1641 and haven't had any problems with it.

I have had up to four running on phantom before with no issues. Hope the outboard works for ya.

I didn't want to make a new thread, so i'll ask this here:

I have a Tascam US-1641. Today, while it was switched on, I plugged a condensor mic into channel 1 when the phantom power was off. I didn't try recording anything, but just as I was about to I realised i'd forgotten to switch Phantom Power ON :o. I switched it on, recorded my guitar, and it sounded fine.

Should I turn phantom power on BEFORE plugging my condenser mic in, or after it's plugged in, and should I then turn phantom power off BEFORE unplugging, or leave it on while unplugging?

I hope I didn't damage my Mic, and I don't want to damage it in the future.

Thanks.

ALWAYS plug and unplug with phantom power OFF. When you turn it off, give it about another 30 seconds before you unplug the cable just to make sure the voltage has bled off.

Thanks for replying, what about if I have all my mics plugged in when the tascam is off? Is it okay to turn it on while they are plugged in, and then once it's on turn phantom power on? Also, I'm planning on recording drums, but one of my dynamic drum mics will have to sit in a channel with phantom power on. Is that bad for a dynamic mic?

Channels with phantom ON:
Channel 1: condenser mic
Channel 2: condenser mic
Channel 3: nothing
Channel 4: Tom mic (dynamic)

Channels with phantom power off:
Channel 5: Tom mic (dynamic)
Channel 6: floor Tom mic (dynamic)
Channel 7: snare drum mic (dynamic)
Channel 8: bass drum mic (dynamic)

Is it okay to have my Tom dynamic mic in a channel with phantom power switched on?

Thanks.

Your good there. Some ribbon mics can be damaged by the voltage but dynamics are fine.

Oh, and turn my 1641 on and off all the time without unplugging anything and haven't had an issue. Whether it's the right thing to do or not, ??

Oh ok good, and yeah i'm sure it's fine to leave them plugged in when you turn it on/off actually, otherwise it would be too much hassle having to plug 'em all back in again everytime!

Thanks. :cool:

Hehe, I didn't mean to say you had to disconnect and reconnect them every time. I just meant that if you were going to, make sure the power is OFF. Sorry about the confusion guys.

Back