Tascam Port One playback and record function not working

robnoodles

I am new to the world of tape recording, coming from a digital recording background and decided to buy a Tascam Porta One. I am having trouble with recording and playback on the machine. Not sure if the motor is gone on it but i can get level into the machine and the FF & REW functions work but i cannot playback or record to tape, when i press play i can hear motor noise but nothing happens. Any information anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

FF & REW functions work
some general things to check: see if the capstan (metal shaft that pokes up behind the tape itself and drives it) is turning when play is pressed, and also if the pinch roller is closing on the capstan at the same time, as it should.

also check the pause key mechanism hasn't been jammed on somehow, and that the tape is landing on the correct side of the capstan when the tape is inserted (capstan on one side of the tape, pinch roller on the other)

i don't recall if the porta one has a remote/foot switch jack; if so it's possible that it has an open contact on the socket

Back