Tascam Midistudio 644 overdubbing issue

pbyrd

Alright so here goes my first post here. Hopefully a first of (not too) many questions to come.

I picked up a 644 from an old teacher of mine several years back. It basically sat around in a practice space unused for a number of years, and found its way across the country to me here. I downloaded the manual pdf off dustblow.com and have read it nearly cover to cover... attempted to follow the instructions for playing back a cassette (check), recording your first track (check), and overdubbing (FAIL). For those who are familiar with the 644's peculiar machinations: When set to factory scene 1, channel 1 is set to group 1 which gets recorded onto (record function) track 1. The manual then specifies to change to scene 2, which sets all channels to group 2, and press record with record function 2 armed. That never worked, and my levels are all the same as the successful first take. I've tried nearly every other combination, scenes 2-4 with record function 2-4. I'm stumped and at my wits end with this thing!! I just want to make some decent cassette recordings!

Back