Tascam DP24 Recording volume

C4th

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice.
When recording on my DP24, does it matter if i don't record "Hot"?
When recording my vocals, they always seem quieter than my guitars, bass, drums etc when i play them back. Does that matter?
Or can i just do my final mix pretty low and then raise the overall volume after on the DP24 to CD level?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

It's always better to try to get everything right when tracking and not try to fix it in the mix.
Raise the level on your gain to where the light slightly comes on in the peaks of the vocals. Ears are usually a pretty good judge too if distorted. It seems on these systems for whatever reason the output to the monitors seem really low. Not sure why. I've been recording for a lot of years on some of the best DAWS (Akai DPS 24 & Roland 2480)and decided to try this one out. This is one issue I have to figure out why.
Anyway, I would try to get the levels up the best you can, and if you can't, probably have to resort to the mix.

I usually record so my meters read -12db to -6 db ... no hotter than that. It leaves headroom for post processing (compression, EQ, etc). If you record just short of clipping you leave no room to do anything. You can boost the overall volume of a track in post-processing if you need to.

Back