Tascam DM4800 - how do you route outboard gear ?

GaryJackson

Hi all,

Just was wondering how everyone routes outboard gear (in a studio situation) through the DM4800?

I know that you can use the Aux sends, or the internal inserts however I was wondering the best way to do this? I use my Aux sends for headphone mixes so should I use the rest of the Aux's for external effects or maybe use the assignable send and returns?

So, how do you all do the routing?

Thanks.....

Back when Tascam Forums was available a bunch of the guys that belonged uploaded files.
This link should help you.
tascam.studioroots.nl/index

I'm not allowed to post links yet, so you'll have to go to that page and look up routing under DM3200-4800. There are also videos there.

My external effects routing for the DM4800 is exactly what I would use for any conventional mixer. Assignable Sends 1&2 are monitor mixes. Assignable Sends 3 thru 6 go to the inputs of 4 external effects units. All 8 of the Assignable returns are used for stereo returns from the external effects units. This leaves Assignable Sends 7&8 open for use as additional monitor mixes, if needed. All external Mic Pres or compressors are brought in though the channel inserts while recording. Things get more complicated if you are trying to use external processors on individual channels at mix down. You can re-configue some of the Assignable Sends to go to the input of the processor and bring them back in to the mix on individual input channels, or, on Assignable Returns, if you can spare any. If I need to do a lot of channel processing at mix down, I usually do it within a DAW rather than within the Tascam.

Thanks Vbass. Its kind of the way I have been working. Its just the internal insert patching was confusing. I was thinking that the Aviom card for the mixer would be handy for my monitor mixes then I could use all of the send / returns for external effects. I mix down to a two track tascam DV-HD1000 for live mixdowns so no issues using the channel effects and outboard effects.

So just to make sure Iv got this: you go into the (insert) screen, patch a channel to a send, and return that channel to an unused channel (simple channel 49 to 64). ? Though I spose I could use the Aux sends the same way?

Thanks

If we're still talking external effects hardware, you would have to bring the returns from the external effect back thru a channel with a hardware jack. Either input channels 1 thru 24, or an Assignable Return. The Insert menu will only give you Channels 1 to 24 and the Assignable Returns as an option, unless you are running some digital options like an ADAT, TDIF, etc.

Im running the firewire card 32 in and 32 out but no other digital options. I have the assignable returns set to a physical channel anyway. I have mine set to channel 53 onwards to 60 just after my effects returns starting on channel 49.

So I guess I would take the return signal from the external effects unit and patch it into a return and then internally patch that back to a channel at the end of the desk somewhere. But to be honest its a bit of a pain that you have to enter an insert screen on the mixer, pick a channel that you want to send to the external unit, patch it out and back to a return...etc

I think its only a pain cause the screen is a little small. Would be great if you could plug a VGA monitor in the rear like some of the Phonic mixers. I though that was a great idea..

Back