Tascam 688 live recording / manual

jonasgreene

Hello,

I've recently acquired a used Tascam 688 midistudio. I've had to get a manual and get it serviced. But now it's up and running.

I've basically been using the factory presets 01-08 to record one instrument or vocal, then adding an overdub performed with one istrument or vocal.

I now plan on recording my band. We record live using a total of 6 mics simultaneously. We then add the vocal and occasionally a guitar overdub. If anyone has experience using the 688 in this capacity, I'd be grateful if you would share your knowledge with me. Specifically, I'd like to know what scene/scenes to use in the tracking & overdubbing process.

Also, I have a pdf of the 688 manual, which Muttley made me a copy of. It seems to be e-mailable.

J

Press "assign main"
type in "11"
press recall
Then on your 1-8 record track on button, press1,2,3,4,5,6, hook up your mics, and thats it.
F.Y.I. scene 12 is your "mixdown Page."

Any more questions you can email me.

stuff39412@hotmail.com

Thanks!

STUFF

Thanks a ton STUFF!

Then is the overdub just a matter of having your 6 recorded tracks then putting an input to either 7 or 8 and going for it?

Would I use scenes 7 and 8 for the overdubs?

Yes,
Scene 1 is for track 1, scene 2 is for track 2, etc., al the way up to scene 8. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what scene 9 and 10 are, but scene 11 puts and tracks in rec standby mode, and scene 12 is mixdown.

Something else to think about

Say you have scene 1 ready to record, everything you have plugged into your mixer will be recorded onto track 1, so you may want to consider this option if you will need more than 2 tracks left over for over dubbing. It would take a little more knob tweaking and what not, but you might benifit from this in your situation.

But yes, to overdub onto say track 7, after tracks 1-6 are recorded (be sure to turn off the record buttons for 1 -6), Press assign main, hit "7", recall, and record track 7.

Hopefully this helps.
If you have any more questions just float them my way!!!

Later.

Jonasgreene:

If you're still out there, I'm looking for a PDF copy of the 688 manual. Do you still have a copy of it that you could send to me?

Thanks

688 manual

Jonasgreene:

Hopefully you're still around! I also am looking for a copy of the 688 manual. If you still have a copy, would you send to me? I will check this thread for your reply.

Thank You!!

Nope! Sorry. I do not have a copy of the manual. I managed to figure out what I needed to know without it. If you're looking for some particular information, maybe I can help you with it. Just ask.

if i''m correct, you can use scene 10 as well to record on tracks 1-8. But your can only insert mics into the xrl inputs.

another trick with recording bands live is to always use a room mic on say track 7 or 8. You can always erase it with an overdub later, but if there's no need to put in an extra track, you've got a nice 'livefeel' sound to mix with later on....this is how I work with my 688. it's a great machine

midistudio 688 manual/questions

I just got a midistudio 688 and it seems to work. It was free, so the price was right. It might be more than what I need, but I have read that electronic musicians use mixing boards to give their sound extra fatness. Anyway...

but I am a total newbie to home recording and have not used a mixing board/recorder before. Anybody got a manual in pdf?

I am planning to produce some dance tracks with synths, drum machines, and I thought it would be cool to run the hardware and mic through the board before running it to my m audio fast track pro.

I thought it would be kind of cool to use it in conjunction with ableton live and a m audio fast track pro to record and skip using the tape. Does that sound feasible? How would you set up everything? Also if anybody has tips on the midi operation of the 688 that woulld be great. What is the midi functionality on it do? Any idears or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Please help.

I have the manual in PDF.

Its is on a thread months back on these boards.

If anyone wants it leave me your E mail addy and I will send it.

I have a 688 manual, the supplemental scene insert and the scene cassette. Are you still looking for any of these? They would have to be copied as they are all originals.

Back