Tascam 424 MkIII and Effect Returns

Atwork

Is it a serious limitation of the Tascam 424 MkIII that if you use Channel 1-6 as an Effect Return you can't adjust the level of the incoming signal to any useable amount, but if you use Channel 7 or 8 you can't EQ the incoming signal? (That is, if you keep the Mix (and Output?) knobs of your outboard effects unit on Max. as recommended in the 424 manual). Is the workaround to adjust Mix and Output on the outboard effects unit? Just wondering what other people do.

Atwork said:
Is it a serious limitation of the Tascam 424 MkIII that if you use Channel 1-6 as an Effect Return you can't adjust the level of the incoming signal to any useable amount ...

You can't? You should be able to.

but if you use Channel 7 or 8 you can't EQ the incoming signal?

This, on the other hand, sounds right.

(That is, if you keep the Mix (and Output?) knobs of your outboard effects unit on Max. as recommended in the 424 manual).

I'm assuming the outboard you're talking about is a reverb / multi-effects box.

You want the mix control of the outboard unit at max, so the return is 100% "wet." There's no reason to take a dry signal back from the effect unit. You've already got the dry signal in your mixer. That's what you're sending out to the outboard effect box.

You should not necessarily set the output knob of the outboard unit at it's max, though. You should set it at the level that produces a signal at the appropriate level: i.e. one that's about as hot as you can go without overdriving the input. The level should be set the same way you'd set any line input into a channel.

You then adjust the amount that gets into your mix with the fader.

I'll look at it again, but at the moment even with everything on the 424 set to Min. (Trim and Ch. 5 or 6 Fader, that is - Effect Send is turned up), I get everything swamped with reverb - when using Channel 5 or 6 as a return - unless I adjust the Output and Mix on the effects unit. I assumed this was because unlike on my mixer these channels don't have any return volume control. As I mentioned, Channel 7 and 8 have a volume control but no EQ. It's not a problem. I'll sort it out. I was just curious as to what other 424 users do. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Maybe I just need to look at the Output level of the effects unit as you suggest.

I'm not totally clear on how you're hooking everything up, but:

If you pull the fader all the way down on the channel that has the reverb return, you should hear no reverb at all (or, if you've got a really hot level coming in, maybe a tiny bit).

The fader is a volume control for the channel.

One thought: you might want to check what you're monitoring when you hear everything swamped with reverb.

Use an external EQ after the effect box in your send/return path.
That's the best work around and doesn't rob you of your main channels.

JR#97 said:
Use an external EQ after the effect box in your send/return path.
That's the best work around and doesn't rob you of your main channels.

That's a good idea. I'll try that.

And SJJ - you're right about the fader. I remember I used to be able to control the amount of reverb with it. I'm monitoring through the headphone socket of the 424 at the moment because my amp blew.

Thanks for the advice.

Back