Tascam 414mkII channel sensitivity problems!

computrav

I have been trying to do some basic recording tests with my new 414, but have been running into some problems with what appears to be the sensitivity of the channels.

In short, when I record the same level of sound through a microphone to tracks 1, 2, 3, and 4 separately, tracks 1, 2, and 4 are considerably quieter than track 3.

Before you jump to any conclusions, let me make this harder for you (and myself) to figure out: I am using the direct inputs for each channel (for example, on channel 1, I have the 1/SAFE/L switch to "1"), and have my microphone with a 1/4" plug plugged into the front of the 414. For all 4 channels, all of the MIC sensitivity levels are at the exact same level, and all of the main level sliders are as well. For that matter, all other knobs on all channels are in the exact same position. When recording on channel 1, I have the Tape/Guitar/MicLine switch to "MicLine". I do the same for the other 3 channels. When I'm recording, I am getting level responses on the LEDs, and am attempting to keep them at the 3rd-4th LED level (+3).

After recording each channel separately in the manner above and playing them back, track 3 is considerably louder than tracks 1, 2, and 4.

When I am listening to the tracks after they've been recorded, I have the Tape/Guitar/MicLine switch set to "Tape". The L/R button is depressed, as is Effect1, The Effect2/Tape Cue button is NOT depressed.

Anyone see anything obvious that would make this screwy?

I have considered the possibility that I've blown the channel inputs, but it doesn't seem likely - before actually recording, but while in record mode, the LED level indicators seem to be working just fine. When I play the tracks back, they aren't showing up at all (apparently because the sound has been recorded at such a low level).

I am using Headphones for a monitor, and have the monitor knob at 12 o'clock (straight up).

Thanks in advance.

-Travis

Back