Question on Tascam 424 MarkIII

BBY

Hello Gang,
I have a new to me Tascam 424 MarkIII and am having a little problem. I am not completely new to recorders, for the past several years I have been using a 788. Anyway, following along in the manual I have no problems recording and playing back tracks 1 and 2. I am using the bussl/bussr method and setting all switches/pans as per the manual. My problem comes when I try to record on track number 3. I can monitor tracks 1 and 2 while setting the level for track 3, but the instant I push record track 1 "dissapears" never to be heard from again, like it's automatically wiped clean. I must be missing a setting or a step, but can't seem to figure it out. Any kick in the right direction would be appreciated.

This is how my machine is set up for recording track #3.

Channel 1 Settings

Input Mic/Line Selected
Pan left

Monitor Settings

The following are selected....

Mono

Effect 2/Cue

Cue

Record Function

Track 3 buss l

Well I found these instructions in a thread from 2006

{I tried to insert the link here but was blocked because I am under 10 posts and linking to other sites is not allowed even though it's a homerecording.com link}

"pan channel 1 hard left. record your first instrument onto track 1 with 'buss l' selected. for your second instrument, rotate the pan knob hard right. Switch track 1 to 'safe' and track 2 to 'buss r'. Record 2nd instrument. To record the 3d instrument, rotate the pan knob back hard left, and switch track 2 to 'safe' and track 3 to 'buss l'...and so forth. This way, all you are doing is moving the safe-buss switches, and panning knob. if you are recording similar instruments (2 or 3 guitar tracks, or 2 or 3 vocals) you never need to unplug the mic from the channel 1 input, or reset the trim, or fader, or eq, or anything."

Since this is exactly what I am doing, and if I understand them correctly these are the manual instructions also, so I don't know what's up. With almost 100 views I guess no one else knows what may be up either, so back to the research.

Back