Newbie- amp headphone out into tascam?

topspin

Folks - Forgive my ignorance, I am a newbie to home recording using a recently purchased tascam 414. I seem to remember a difference between headphone level output and true line level output. The Tascam inputs are mic/line level. I have two guitar amps one has just a headphone out...the other has a single jack reading line/headphone out.
My question is....will the heaphone outputs blow the mic/line level inputs of the Tascam? I am short on mics and was trying to avoid mic'ing the amps.

thanks...JD

i use the emulated/headphone line out of most of the marshall amps i record to get a scratch track down because later i mic em up. usually it sounds decent just not as good as a miced amp. if you still want that miced sound you can record the amp with headphone line out and later play that track thru an amp and mic it up. using the headphone out shouldnt mess up your equipment.

Thanks hipknot for the info I'll forge ahead with using thos outputs. Actually I wonder if I could extend this question a little bit and explain that what I am trying to do...I am really trying to provide some young teenage guitar players who are trying to form a band (I am the 40 year old geezer ex band player) a way to practice and get feedback as to how their playing went. Only equip on hand is a bunch of small practice amps. So the tascam is serving as mixer to the monitor outputs which serve as the PA. They play live, capture on tape, review it and try to improve.

Another question...they have two vocalists and I plugged the mics into the tascam directly. Is their an inexpensive effect I can put on this setup to give the vocal some reverb/echo? Run it through one of the small practice amps first...or is their a vocal effect I can tie into the effects send loop?

thanks...any pointers...ideas to help this "form a band" project is appreciated...

JD.

Back