Multi-effect/mic/single effect on 2488

mandpasbury

Hey ya'll, how is everyone? I have a question...as you know i just got my 2488, had it about a week now. Gotten excellent results tracking with one exception: when I record, I am going with rhythm guitar #1 to track 2 and rhythm guitar #2 to track 3. Instead of micing one of my cabs, I am using Input G as it is the "instrument pre" input, right? So, when I have recorded either Rhythm guitar using the on-board multi-effect, it sounds pretty good (for DI). Then after I save it, and go back to listen to it again to add more tracks, etc. the effects that I recorded onto track 2 and track 3 are not there anymore. It happens when I reload the song and when I just save and then go to playback. Then, when I try to add them again, the multi-effect button (MIC x 4 or MIC x 8) will only let me add it to one track, never both simultaneously. But even if I assign the multi-effect to one specific track, say track 2, then save it, it is gone again when I playback/reload the song.

What do I need to do? Is this a "I don't know what I'm doing problem" or what? AM I not saving the tracks right? Do I need to record guitars dry then add effects after? Am I missing something in the effect assignment section of the manual?

All comments readily accepted!!!! Please ask for more info if you need it...I just want to get over this hump and on to the next hump on my learning curve from the 424 MKIII to the 2488!

Thanks everyone!

Bounce

mandpasbury said:
when I record, I am going with rhythm guitar #1 to track 2 and rhythm guitar #2 to track 3.
Instead of micing one of my cabs, I am using Input G as it is the "instrument pre" input, right? Mine is H on the front for Inst?

Then after I save it, and go back to listen to it again to add more tracks, etc. the effects that I recorded onto track 2 and track 3 are not there anymore.
Yeah, I did this. So the effect/MIC X or MultiFX thing is like "live" only.

You can Bounce easily with effect that stays set.

plug in to H on the front, set your volume. Select track etc..
Press MICXor MultiFX thing, select your effect.
record your #1 Guitar to Track 2.

RTZero. Playback check...ok? then Bounce it to another track.(make sure you removed the RED button on your original Track 2).

Press the RED button on whatever track, lets say Track 10.
Press Shift+Bounce.
Hit play and record.

Your guitar with effects will be permanent now on Track 10. If needed, you can bounce Track 10 to Track 2 if it's your preference for it to be on Track 2.
Either way you won't "lose" the effect now. Whats neat is you could change the effect on the original and Bounce to Track 11....without re-playing the track. Now you have 10+11 as copies of the original on Track 2 but each with different effects...slick.

It happens when I reload the song and when I just save and then go to playback.

Then, when I try to add them again, the multi-effect button (MIC x 4 or MIC x 8) will only let me add it to one track, never both simultaneously.
You need to LINK the two. PLug the Guitar in H, set volumes, set tracks. Press and HOLD 5+6 for example...they are LINKED both light up. Simultaneously.
Now Press Multi effects & 5/6 and the effect is on both tracks...Stereo guitar effects for example. Record, playback etc..

Then do the Bounce again if you like the playback and effect settings and want to make permanent.

But even if I assign the multi-effect to one specific track, say track 2, then save it, it is gone again when I playback/reload the song.
Again, Bounce. Think of the playback as a premaster. If it sounds good, all is right...then bounce to another track to save it in entirety.

What do I need to do?
Is this a "I don't know what I'm doing problem" or what? AM I not saving the tracks right?
Do I need to record guitars dry then add effects after? You can do that too, but I think you need to bounce and save with effects, or it will keep changing. My old Roland did this too, not sure about the DP01.
Am I missing something in the effect assignment section of the manual?

All comments readily accepted!!!! Please ask for more info if you need it...I just want to get over this hump and on to the next hump on my learning curve from the 424 MKIII to the 2488!

Thanks everyone!

H is for Guitar

To add a bit of clarity, I hope, to the 2488 effects situation:

The MULTI effect can only be enabled on one track at a time. If you want the same (or different) MULTI setting applied to more than one track, you have to bounce each track + Multi to another track, then repeat as necessary for each track to which you wish to have the Multi effect applied, as COOLCAT states above. MULTI is an effect chain that includes a noise gate, amp model, modulation effect, distortion OR compressor, and delay. Each one of the effects can be edited, and switched into or out of the effects chain.

The MIC X 4 effect is a single effect (choose between either a compressor, de-esser, or vocal exciter) that can be applied to up to 4 tracks simultaneously. When MIC X 4 is enabled, one additional track - not one of the 4 using MIC X 4 - can have the MULTI effect enabled, as well.

The MULTI effect can be used independently of the MIC X 4 effect.

The MIC X 8 effect offers the same effect options as MIC X 4, and can be applied to up to 8 tracks simultaneously. If MIC X 8 is enabled, the MULTI effect is disabled for all tracks.

Not to forget the SINGLE effect, with which one effect from a library of presets (or user-defined settings) can be applied to all 24 tracks, with the send level for each track defined by the SEND function. The SINGLE effect can be used in addition to the [MULTI and MIC X 4] or [MIC X 8 effects].

So the maximum number of effects that can be used at any one time is as follows:

SINGLE (24 tracks) + MULTI (1 track) + MIC X 4 (4 tracks, mutually exclusive from the track using MULTI)

OR:

SINGLE (24 tracks) + MIC X 8 (8 tracks)

Oh, and let's not forget that each track has two external effects loops, so if you had 48 effects engines, you could have all that running in addition to the above.

Hope this helps!

Need Help with my 2488mkii

i need to know if it is possible to use external effects after you have recorded your tracks first... i want to use noise gates for my drum tracks and can't seem to get it to work.. just wanted to know if it is possible.

Back