High Bias tapes?

Seej_UK

Hello,

Can anyone help me? I am in need of an online shop that sells high bias tapes as i understand these are what i should use in my Tascam is this right? If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. Can you use normal tapes?

thanks,

Chris.

TDK SA60 is the best cassette to use in the Tascam units. Normal bias tape won't work right. Are you in the UK or does that mean something else? Let me know where you are and I'll post a couple links for your region.

:cool:

Thanks alot for the help. Yeah i'm in the UK, i just cant find anywhere to buy those darn tapes. My local shop used to do them buy they closed down. :)

Are there other tapes recommended apart from the SA 60? I still cant find it on any UK sites to order a few.

MAXELL is the way to go

MAXELL II High Bias 60 minute tapes. I have used them for ages and they are excellent quality.

Brother John

I think that you may just have to peck around online. I could tell you some stores near me but you'd have to cross the ocean and stuff. Also people may be recommending things that are possibly marketed under a different name in the UK. Just a possibility. I would contact TDK and Maxell.

Be Loveless said:
Beck, you prefer the SA to the SM? (my best Andy Rooney) Why is that?

No, I use them both. However, when explaining to someone about TDKs offerings it can just confuse -- SA, SM, SA-X, SM-X, SA-XG, blah, blah, blah.

Besides the tape used in SA and SM is identical. The difference is in the cassette mechanism. SA is available in many more places than SM.

Tell Andy to please trim his eyebrows!

:cool:

Whats the difference between SA60 and SA90, are they both high bias? which should i get? this is a confusing business!

Seej_UK said:
Whats the difference between SA60 and SA90, are they both high bias? which should i get? this is a confusing business!

SA-60 is a thicker tape, with a stronger base layer so it is less prone to stretching and/or breaking and causing problems.

A smaller tape pancake is also easier on the motors and transport assembly in general so it's better for your deck too.

Cheers! :)

1sJuly, Leeds, UK,2004,

To come back to your question "Where to get those tapes from?" Well as you see I also live in the UK, and I get some of my tapes from Richer Souds, or Dixons, or even Morrissons [the Superduper]. So perhaps you should give them a try too, or just get them from TDK or Maxwell's website. Can't go wrong with that one.

Best of luck,

Eddie

Hey guys,
I have a 688 that I bought new back when they were first introduced. I have used Maxell XLII-S 60 TDK SA 60 TDK SA-X 60. The TDK SA-X 60 at least for me on this machine is superior to the other two both in audio quality as well as durability.

Cheers,
Glenn

High Bias SA's always worked great for me in my Tascam 488.... many moons ago.... Don't know when I last bought a cassette....

Back