Got my new 2488 finally, but need advice.

jwgeetar

well i brought the new baby home the other day. i recorded a guitar/vocal demo in about 2 hours of messing with it. i am learning the board little by little.

i have a question i can't get answered yet though.

i used to run my computer sound out to my amp and speakers, with a y cable.
then i ran the y to my KRK 8's and got sound. now with my 2488, i have plugged my Y from my pooter into several places and cannot get it to output the sound. it seems logical to grab the number 7,8 channels (also called G & H) push the select buttons,and then push up the sliders. but still no sound. is there a place in the menu to let the sound "output itself"?

thanks again..jw

If I understand your question correctly, you are running a cable into two of the 8 inputs at the back (A - H). Probably E - H since they have 1/4" inputs.

You need to assign the inputs to tracks. To assign input E to Track 1, press the INPUT-E button (in "SOURCE" section), hold, and press the Track 1 SELECT button, then release. Use the gain trim for input E to adjust the input level, and the Track 1 fader and STEREO fader to adjust output levels. Ditto for the input for the other half of your Y cable - assign input F to Track 2.

Is this what you're looking for?

i'm not home yet to try it but yea---something to push my output(internet radio mainly) to and be controlled on the 2488. will try and post. thx

If I understand your question correctly, you are running a cable into two of the 8 inputs at the back (A - H). Probably E - H since they have 1/4" inputs.

You need to assign the inputs to tracks. To assign input E to Track 1, press the INPUT-E button (in "SOURCE" section), hold, and press the Track 1 SELECT button, then release. Use the gain trim for input E to adjust the input level, and the Track 1 fader and STEREO fader to adjust output levels. Ditto for the input for the other half of your Y cable - assign input F to Track 2.

Is this what you're looking for?
thanks Zap it worked. i assigned H with track 8 and F with track 6. that way i got both both sides of the Y cable covered. when i tried G & H together only one side worked. something about the linking? although i read where these first 8 tracks are stereo linked, so that must be it.

i take it this only temporary until i power it up again.

thanks Zap it worked. i assigned H with track 8 and F with track 6. that way i got both both sides of the Y cable covered. when i tried G & H together only one side worked. something about the linking? although i read where these first 8 tracks are stereo linked, so that must be it.

i take it this only temporary until i power it up again.

No, you should be able to do the exact same thing with G and H. Make sure they're not linked by pressing down "G". It should light up alone. If "G" and "H" light up together, they're linked. Unlink them by holding down "G" while pressing "H".

The channels that are permanently linked have nothing to do with inputs A-H, though you can choose to link them, too. It's not the first 8 anyway. It's channels 13/14 to 23/24 that are stereo linked.

Hope this helps.

No, you should be able to do the exact same thing with G and H. Make sure they're not linked by pressing down "G". It should light up alone. If "G" and "H" light up together, they're linked. Unlink them by holding down "G" while pressing "H".

The channels that are permanently linked have nothing to do with inputs A-H, though you can choose to link them, too. It's not the first 8 anyway. It's channels 13/14 to 23/24 that are stereo linked.

Hope this helps.

my bad. thanks Rami. ;)

while we're at it, i was messing around earlier and trying to get levels while doing a geetar/vocal demo. i could hear my mic in the headphones but not my geetar. in fact when i did record a little, i only had geetar and vocal in my vocal mic and none on the 2nd track. i tried the geetar plugged into H AND the front input at different times but no signal recorded. is this to an assignment issue also? i pressed H and then the track 2 select...but nada.:confused:

hold the phone, i plugged in my G&L strat and i got blasted by sounds in the headphone's and then over my moniters.

hmmm, before---i was plugging in my 2 year old yamaha accoustic and it needed a battery. i replaced it and still no sound. i spent 3 months waiting on a preamp for the yamaha when it went out. so far it appears blown again......:mad:

what a pain, but i'm getting the assignment thing down better......:)

what a pain, but i'm getting the assignment thing down better......:)
It will become second nature to you very quickly.

When I do multiple guitar tracks I'm assigning the same mic to any number of tracks. It's easy once you just make it part of your initial setup.

jwgeetar, even though the manual is not the best-written technical documentation I have ever seen, I would highly recommend reading it.

Oh, and if your 2488 is one of the originals (as opposed to the MK II), forget the drum machine. It will make you crazy. ;)

jwgeetar, even though the manual is not the best-written technical documentation I have ever seen, I would highly recommend reading it.

Oh, and if your 2488 is one of the originals (as opposed to the MK II), forget the drum machine. It will make you crazy. ;)

yea i've read a lot of it Zap. still, the reason i'm a member of various forums is to get to the point. i'm an old fart that it don't sink in till somebody cuts to the chase. i will pass on my knowledge of this sucker to the next noob. it's funny cause i am a computer tech during the day and can fix a lotta stuff there. when it comes to music, that logical approach piss'es me off and i just wanna get creative. in another week or two on this machine and i'll get creative.....:eek:

thats my story and i'm stickin to it.....lol:D

btw, i have the 2488MKII. so there is a drum machine on it?:confused:

btw, i have the 2488MKII. so there is a drum machine on it?:confused:
No, because it was virtually unusable, confusing, time-consuming, non-programmable, and sounded like crap. You are better off without it. Count your blessings. :)

After several attempts to get decent percussion sounds and patterns out of the "tone generator" - what they called the drum machine - I gave up and bought a Boss DR-670 drum machine, which works wonderfully, and syncs right up to the 2488.

No, because it was virtually unusable, confusing, time-consuming, non-programmable, and sounded like crap. You are better off without it. Count your blessings. :)

After several attempts to get decent percussion sounds and patterns out of the "tone generator" - what they called the drum machine - I gave up and bought a Boss DR-670 drum machine, which works wonderfully, and syncs right up to the 2488.

cool, thx again. now we're getting to the drums. i am not a drummer but want to tap my beats and rhythms in. can the 670 do that? i am gonna look it up....

cool, thx again. now we're getting to the drums. i am not a drummer but want to tap my beats and rhythms in. can the 670 do that? i am gonna look it up....
For sure it can. You can record freestyle if you like, or program a whole song's worth of multiple patterns, and just sync everything up and let it rip.

Another question gang,

i am messing with the effects send. i want to use the external mode which i take it to mean you can hookup extra external gear. i have a midiverb3 i want to use on vocals.

apparently i don't get the cable hookup. i have a left and right output and L/R input on the Midiverb. now when i see the effects send 1 and 2 on the 2488, what goes where? i am reading the manual on it but i don't see it points toward tapping into the Reverb.

i tried the output of the midiverb into effects send 1 on the 2488 but nada....:confused:
thx.....

The effects SEND is an out. That goes into your input of the Midiverb. Then, you send the left and right OUTS of the Midiverb into 2 INPUTS of the 2488.

The effects SEND is an out. That goes into your input of the Midiverb. Then, you send the left and right OUTS of the Midiverb into 2 INPUTS of the 2488.

ok, thanks Rami. any 2 inputs of the 2488? if i have my mic in channel one and i want reverb on my vocal there, how does this work with my mic plugged in there?:confused:

ok, thanks Rami. any 2 inputs of the 2488? if i have my mic in channel one and i want reverb on my vocal there, how does this work with my mic plugged in there?:confused:
You are using two channel inputs (and two tracks) when you use the effects send for an individual instrument.

To map it out:

Assign Input A to Track 1, Input B to Track 2

Microphone --> Input A; effect sent Track 1 --> Midiverb in; midiverb out --> Input B

So you are dry on Track 1 and wet on Track 2, and set the levels of the two tracks to determine the wet/dry ratio.

And if you need to free up tracks, once you get the desired wet/dry ratio, you can bounce those two tracks onto a third track and free up the first two. (But if you erase those first two tracks you are stuck with the bounced track.)

Back