Fw-1082 audio/midi interface firewire problem

Hello, I have an Alienware area 51 m7700 laptop and I bought the Tascam FW-1082 interface to use with it (running Cubase LE), anyway, the Tascam has a 6 pin firewire port and my laptop has a 4 pin port with no spaces available for adding a 6 pin port, what can I do? I emailed this problem to Tascam and they replied:
"The FW-1082 requires a 6-pin Firewire connection. We do not support it's ooperation with 4-pin".

They didn't give me any alternatives, advice, suggestions or anything. They couldn't even answer whether the FW-1082 required the power provided by the 2 extra pins on the 6 pin firewire port, which is all I think the extra 2 pins do. I could get a PCMCIA express card for my laptop that has a 6 pin port on it but would that work, will it have the 2 12 volt power pins activated or not? If anybody has any suggestions or anything, please help, I am at wits end.

get a cable with 4 on one end and 6 on the other... no big deal... the two extra pins allow for some peices to be powered by others... not an issue here as the tascam will be plugged into the wall right??? alot of laptops have the 4 pin outputs because they have inseficient power supplies to do the bus powering bit...

Back