dp o1 fx

WAW LA

does anyone know of a cheap compressor or effect proccesor that i can buy for the dp 01 fx because im not feeling the onboard effects . does any 1 use a seperate commpressor on the dp01 if so did it improve your sound?can some 1 help me out with advice?

Yeah I use this

I own a Tascam dp-o1 fx and it's a really nice little, easy to use unit. I also owned a Yamaha AW 16 G which was a total pain in the ass and for much of my recording I am going direct into my Power Mac G4 with ProTools (I have a six input card installed in my "Mac.enstein").
The onboard effects and compression is easy to use and effective but you must read the manual and apply it as reccommended. This is an inexpensive unit that does perform well but you can't ask it to do too many things at once. It's an inexpensive simple unit.
I have used my Lexicon MPX 100 as an effects peripheral and my simple Samson S-con plus as a compressor and it is easier to control the levels but the onboard fx and compression does work, you just can't try to do it all at once (good practice anyway). It asks you to do one thing at a time and you adjust the level of compression on the little screen numerically using your cursor and wheel. You have to apply it or you won't hear anything cause it won't do anything. The manual is far less painful to read than the Yamaha or Roland manual because it is a simple unit, but it works and it works well. Having 40 gigs of space on a simple little digital recorder is a real big advantage. Give it time and work with it.

Okay, so maybe onboard compressor isn't the right word

Go through your manual. It will explain to you how you can sett your high and low compression ceilings and floor. It is such a peripheral application that you need to go to the back and read under :"How do I" and it will show you how by setting the levels numerically using your cursors and wheel. Like I said it's a simple unit, but it is there. I would look it up for you, but my DP-01 FX is in the shop getting the soundboard repaired (I dropped something on it) and I'll be picking it up tomorrow. My manual is in the box with everything that I brought to the service center.
I'll have to be much more careful with it in the future, it's costing me $240 to fix this thing. An empty glass fell on it. Ouch! The warantee is only good for 90 days and I've had this fellow for over a year now. I love it though. I record mostly percussion and acoustic music for bellydancers and this little unit treats me as well as my computer based set-up does, and it's portable.

Not really all the time

If I'm doing a remote session at a club or an event, I utilize only the effects that are built in. Sometimes I'll goose it up when I get home and feed it into the mac. But if I like what I'm hearing, I leave it alone. I find that the instrument effects are too overwhelming and if I use them at all it's just barely a hint. For the style of music that I'm doing, too much processing and extreme effects just won't do it. The littlest application of those effects is almost too much, so I know that they are there and they work. I know that the compression works because I used it to tame a very overbearing bass drum track.

does anyone know of a cheap compressor or effect proccesor that i can buy for the dp 01 fx because im not feeling the onboard effects . does any 1 use a seperate commpressor on the dp01 if so did it improve your sound?can some 1 help me out with advice?

I don't have a DP, but I use a Tascam Pocketstudio 5, which has a set of similar although probably less extensive set of effects, some of which I am sure include compression by the way they act. Unfortunately, I can not control the compression part independently, as the the controls are send level, return level, and effects level, meaning the total effect, which may include elements of multiple processors -- compression, chorus, echo, distortion etc. I would not be surprised if you DP FX works the same way. (DP FX owners please correct me if I am wrong.)

In my case with the PS5, I found only a couple on-board guitar effects that worked OK for me -- 12-string for clean guitar was the only one I really liked and I had increase the return level to get it to my liking. I ended up buying a Digitech RP150, which allows one to turn on/off and adjust levels of the various processors individually and save the combinations you like. It is definitely an improvement, but it takes a lot of experimentation to get "just the right sound".

This all assumes that you are talking guitar effects. Compression/limiting used at mixdown is something I know practically nothing about.

Tom

I also own a DP-01:)

What I do, is that I transfer all my tracks to my PC to edit and mix using Adobe Audition. I compress, and apply all effects there.

Maybe you should try applying effects to your tracks on a PC.

Cheers!

I have the DP-01, checked the back of the manual for anything regarding compression, and found nothing.

Can the compression on the Dp-01 be manipulated?

Dale

It is there

Within the multi uses at the tail end of each instrument file there is a compression application. Once you select that, you regulate the amount of compression with the right hand dial.
I just got my little unit back from the service and it's working better than ever, so I just used the drum compression, so I know. I couldn't remember before when I didn't have the unit in front of me.

Within the multi uses at the tail end of each instrument file there is a compression application. Once you select that, you regulate the amount of compression with the right hand dial.
I just got my little unit back from the service and it's working better than ever, so I just used the drum compression, so I know. I couldn't remember before when I didn't have the unit in front of me.

Hey Rimshot,

I don't quite get it. Are you saying you use the drum effectg Comp. "compression only" setting for other than drums, or that all instrument effects have an adjustable compression attribute. I'm curious because I am happy with my Tascam PS5 and might end up with a DPFX ot FXCD some day.

Tom

Yes that is what I have done

I have found that a lot of the pre-set-up multi effects work very well outside of the parameters that Tascam has set up, such as under the vocal selection there is a coloration called "moody" which is perfect for frame drums and I have gotten some pretty incredible sounds by playing doumbek through one of the electric guitar distortions. The compression on drums can be used to compress anything so long as you adjust the parameters for what you are looking for. You select Comp. under drums for the side you are working on, and then with the knob to the right you can adjust the parameter. It's simplistic, but it does work and it's already there.

Back