A decent reverb sound

Goodallboy

As a newb to home recording and my 2488Neo I need assistance. I've exhaustively ready my manual on adding reverb to a track. However, The results are not what I would call acceptable. There is little difference when I try to add reverb as opposed to going without it. I'm pressing the track button, then single effect, pick the reverb I want and there is not a lot of change for instance on a vocal track. As a result all my efforts at tracking sound a bit dull and lack that "sparkle" that a touch of reverb can impart. Are thre any suggestions that might help, given the info I've provided?? Thanks!

I've never used the 2488 but maybe try using a plugin? TAL Reverb II is a nice thick reverb plugin and it's free.

Which DAW are you using?

As a newb to home recording and my 2488Neo I need assistance. I've exhaustively ready my manual on adding reverb to a track. However, The results are not what I would call acceptable. There is little difference when I try to add reverb as opposed to going without it. I'm pressing the track button, then single effect, pick the reverb I want and there is not a lot of change for instance on a vocal track. As a result all my efforts at tracking sound a bit dull and lack that "sparkle" that a touch of reverb can impart. Are thre any suggestions that might help, given the info I've provided?? Thanks!

I've upload a 2488 guide for you. Perhaps it helps.

https://www.disk.dsl.o2online.de/FZLJgkM/Dokumente/2488 Home Guide.pdf?a=ljeFaqSuhEY

Regards Peter

Peter, thank you for the guide, I think it will answer some questions. However, I'm doing what it tells you to do to add reverb, much like the manual directs. The result is that I can't tell much difference with or without the reverb being supposedly added. To the point that I am questioning whether I'm doing it properly. Is the on-board reverb that poor?

Are you selecting the "send" button which will give you as much or little reverb you require on each selected track. I assure you the reverb effect is superb.

Hope this helps.

No, I'm not using that button for anything. I can't recall reading anything about that button either. I read I should press the particular track I wanted to add reverb (or other effect) then press single effect and set reverb.
What should I really do?

After you've selected and assigned the reverb you want from the single effect (or even before, the order isn't important):

Select the channel to which you wish to apply the effect.

Press the SEND key.

Select Pre- or Post-Fader on the LOOP section of this screen (Pre-Fader: your fader setting doesn't affect the effect level; Post-Fader: your fader will affect the effect level). Then, set the Level and/or Master (I usually leave Master alone) to the appropriate level.

See page 32 of your manual.

You should be able to hear the effect after setting the level.

Thanks Ken, I should have seen that but in all the times I've worked with trying to add an effect it just got by me. Oh well.....thanks again!!

Many thanks Ken for simplifying that for me. I was successful in getting a pretty nice reverb effect for my vocal.
If I want to have reverb and a bit of delay on another track would I for example add the reverb, and then hit single effect to pull up the delay screen, hit the select button for that track and have both effects added?
I know those are the simplest of questions but that's where I am at this point. Thanks for responding!

I believe you have to print (i.e. record) the effect if you want to use a different single effect on another track. So once you find a nice reverb setting for your vocal, you would record the effected signal to a free channel, then you can assign a different 'verb to, say, a background vocal.

I think you can assign the single effect to one channel, and the multi-effect to another at the same time.

I don't do a heck of a lot with the NEO's onboard effects; I usually use outboard stuff via the Sends. So I never really messed with the MICx4 or MICx8 settings...those are for compression/de-essing and the like, anyway (though you can do MICx4 and Multi at once, I think?).

Back