Calling Jake-Owa....or any Tascam knowledge bases

formerlyfzfile

A couple of weeks ago some asked for help picking out a mixer and Jake posted some e-bay links to an M-280 and a couple of M-160 mixers saying that the pre-amps in these older units were quite good condidering......better than the budget Makies of today.

Is the M-30 in the same class as far as the pre-amps are concerned????

I was just curious because my local shop has one for like 70 bucks.....probably unload it for less.

I am just looking for a few extra usable pres.
Right now I have a B 802 mixer, Tube MP, 286A, and a Focusrite Penta on the way.

I was considering this Studiomaster Mixdown 16:8:2 but after checking it out I realize I have no room for it.
I didn't realize how big t was....(its expanded to 24 channels) and it weighs like 600 pounds.

Just curious...nothing urgent.

-mike

I am not familiar with the first two model numbers you mentioned but, I am with the M30 and the mic pre's in that one as well as the eq are very usable and musical in their design. Many consider them to be one of the used market's best kept secrets for killer sound for next to nothing, price wise.

Grab it!:cool:

The M208 and M106 were both great boards too! I know. I owned both of them at different stages of my studio. Both of those are a little cleaner in terms of self noise, (less hiss at higher gain settings) but, I think the over all routing flexibilities are slightly better on the M30 and as well, the eq section on the M30 would be slightly more flexible with more tunable frequencies to play with.

Cheers! :)

Only the 300"B" series has phantom power. This was the newer, second generation series that was available in an 8, 12 & 20 channel version.

The M208 does not have phantom power either.

Cheers! :)

This was fairly speculative on my part. I have heard the pres in a few old TASCAM boards but I have not worked extensively with any of them. I like Mackie pres fine but to my ears the pres in the older TASCAM boards seem much more true.

Don't start thinking I am the expert here, I am mostly good for ebay links.:p

Back