The 414 Portastudio vs. The 424 Portastudio?

Robert_Are

I'm really into the whole 'lo-fi' aesthetic. I really admire artists like Dirty Beaches, Pavement, Daniel Johnston, Ty Segall, etc etc. I'm just not really into digital recordings at all, although they do have their upsides. I've never had my own recording equipment besides some shitty USB mic.

I never knew how these artists I loved got their recordings to sound so unique, and found out about the old Portastudios. Well, I've found both the 414 and the 424, and my question is, which one would you recommend? Keep in mind that I have an Audix instrument mic, and a Shure vocal mic. (I don't remember the model but it cost like 150)

I can't post links, but I found a video on YouTube of someone who used the 424 and they said he used the 424, an sm57 and a yamaha mixer. I'm thinking I may just need the Mixer once I get the recorder. Any ideas on what else I may need?

By the way, I will be recording drums (will that be possible? I also have a drum machine if that'd be easier), bass, guitar, keys, and vocals. Any tips?

I Well, I've found both the 414 and the 424, and my question is, which one would you recommend?

I can't post links, but I found a video on YouTube of someone who used the 424 and they said he used the 424, an sm57 and a yamaha mixer. I'm thinking I may just need the Mixer once I get the recorder. Any ideas on what else I may need?

By the way, I will be recording drums (will that be possible? I also have a drum machine if that'd be easier), bass, guitar, keys, and vocals. Any tips?

I would personally go with the 424 mkII, for the XLR inputs.
I own 2 of 'em, and they serve me well.
You wouldn't need an external mixer due to the fact that the 424 has it's own built in.
Get yourself a couple more sm57's,..and a phantom powered 2 or 4 channel box for condenser mics,..and a couple condensers when your budget calls for it.
You will also need a mixdown deck (you can find them almost anywhere for cheap) to mix your tracks on a final master...but make sure you can also record high bias tapes on the mixdown deck too. (most do)
You'll be needing head cleaner, rubber cleaner (or warm soapy water if you can't find rubber cleaner), & a demagnetizer as well.
Type II High Bias 90 minute tapes or less ( I would go with 60 minute or less ). TDK SA series or Maxell XLII series work well with the 424.
Keep the machine clean before & after every use, and you'll be good to go.
Make sure the recorders heads are in excellent condition. If the seller can't answer if the heads & pinch roller are in good condition, as well as the whole tape transport section,...stay away from it, and look for another.

Back