steinberg support?

toyL

is it just me?...or, has anyone else noticed that vst users are basically second-class nobodys?
...ain't this some shit...ya know, I've always made an effort to be an honest person, polite, forgiving, understanding, etc...but I’m beginning to change my mind about a few things...for example, if steinberg doesn’t give a fuck about vst users, why should we give a fuck about their license?...I've heard ALL the arguments concerning the use of “cracked” code...I even read where one poor slob reasoned that it wasn’t ok to steal an early-model jaguar just because they’re no longer available from the manufacturer...what a dick-head...ok, fine, it’s not ok to steal a discontinued automobile just because they’re no longer available from the manufacturer...but, cars and software are not the same thing…if you happen to own a discontinued car you can still find a way to get it up and running, even if the manufacturer has gone completely out of business...it may take some time and effort, and plenty of cash, but eventually you’ll be cruising the antique car-shows...apparently, my “antique” version of cubase (vst/32 5.1) isn’t worth shit to anyone but me...I realize it’s only two yrs old—which means that the technology needed to restore it to it’s former glory is relatively available or, at the very least, is still fresh in someone’s mind...if the psuedo-code(s), blue-prints, schematics, parts-list, wiring-diagrams, truth-tables, data-sheets, engineering change notifications, authorized deviations, and model-shop prototypes have all been destroyed or locked away, I’m nevertheless convinced that this dead fucking dongle issue needn’t be a show-stopper... of course, I don’t have an extra $600, or so, to pay for an “alternative” solution from a third-party company that won’t guarantee their work...yeh, I’m pretty shitty about the whole thing by now...at first, a steinberg sales-rep insisted that I’d have to pay $179 for a replacement...of course he offered to sell me an upgrade for a mere $149, as if at that point I’d be happy to forget all about ever getting the vst program back together...another dick-head...then, steinberg tech-support assured me that they would ship a free replacement “overnight” so that I’d receive it on 7/11/03...today is the 14th and I’m still waiting...at some point I’ll find a fair and equitable solution...

Last edited:
well...it IS ok to take an abandoned car and make it your own. This is an interesting thought...is it ok to pirate software that is 'abandoned'...take something like windows 3.1, it has exceeded its life cycle for Microsoft, and if all you have is a 386, and can't buy 3.1 anywhere...hmmm, interesting thought.

Well, I can say that it blows that it has taken two days longer than planned for your dongle to show up. I know someone from another webiste where it was literally a two day turnaround, so that sucks that it didn't work out for you.

But I don't really understand your feelings about thinking steinberg views you as a "second class citizen". Not even three months ago, Steinberg released the last update for VST bringing it to 5.2 that brought you the system link that many had been waiting for. VST still has better and more commplete MIDI implimentation and features than SX has. Yes, VST is done being developed for by Steinberg. Yes, SX and Nuendo is what they are pushing. But that doesn't make VST a crappy program or its users second class citizens. It just means they have done everything they can with the code for VST and the program is complete. It's a finished product and a great one at that.

I do not believe for one second that your dongle would have been there any faster if you were an SX user.

yeh, Bass Master "K", I expect you're right--the dongle probably wouldn't have showed up any sooner for an sx user...the thing that really bugged me though was the sales-rep who offered the bump to sx for $149 right after he insisted that it would cost $179 for a replacement vst cpd...I mean really!--eventually I probably will buy sx, but that doesn't mean I'll just toss vst...the was obviously an idiot, or, at the very least was hoping that I'm an idiot...
the dongle arrived yesterday--less than 24 hrs after I posted a polite voice-mail to a "manager" at the chatsworth office...bravo!...after getting the syncrosoft error--"there is no way to recover from this" a couple of times I did fortunately get it to work with the 1370 pos driver...only problem now is that cubase won't open (again, snycrosoft error--cpd not connected) when my midi device is connected to the far side of the dongle...I went for two yrs and never saw this problem--any solutions?...if, however, I connect the midi "after" I start cubase things seem to work fine...very strange...thanks.

...vst/32 5.2???...haven't seen that yet at steinberg's site...all I see is the 5.1r1 update...thanks.
nevermind...I see it's pre-release...thanks again.

Last edited:
Hey, all I am trying to say is don't feel second class...we are all part of the same family. They will treat you the same regardless of if your using VST or SX. We will do the same.

Sorry if 5.2 isn't widely available yet. I have seen people discussing it in another forum and I thought everyone could download it.

...yes Bass Master "K", it is available at the steinberg site...it's on their "pre-release" download page--which essentially means it's available to vst users (usually advanced users) who like to check out "brand new stuff" for critical evaluation...thanks.

...ok BlindCowboy, does Cubase Power address cpd failures/issues?....cuz I got issues...finally got cubase vst/32 back up and running last week, but today I'm receiving these errors--
Protection device(s) contain(s) no valid license for this application.
&
Device error Invert (The physical device is lost)
&
There is no way to recover from this...
&
No protection device connected
....very frustrating...right in the middle of things...
the only recently added/updated software is DirectX 9.0b--a web security issue update...tried sys.restore once, didn't help...maybe I'll try it again...any suggestions?...thanks.

Last edited:
...also receiving these errors--
A required .DLL file, TIMEBANDIT.DLL was not found.
&
Valid Protection Device not found. Connect device and start application again.
&
DCOM connection to program "Synsopos.exe" failed
Error: A null reference pointer was passed to the stub.
There is no way to recover from this error.

...after providing the replacement syncrosoft cpd free of charge steinberg isn't offering much help with it's failure, the 2d such failure I have mysteriously experienced in the last few weeks...the only new software added to my system is Directx 9 and 9.0b--an internet browser security update related to midi files...my 1st cpd failure pretty much coincides with the DirectX 9 install, and the 2d cpd failure immediately followed the DirectX 9.0b install...my current hardware configuration has been the same for about the past 2 yrs (never physically disconnected) and has been very stable...my last phone contact with steinberg north america found them politely informing me that they "no longer support Cubase VST/32", because they're devoting their time to Cubase SX...it's offensive that they've decided to push VST/32 into obsolescence by simply refusing to support it a mere 2 yrs after I purchased it...I need some help in getting this "award-winning" program back up and running...please advise...thanks...
ps...it also failed on my son's 98' machine...

Gotcha.

Well, you had it working before, and now something's changed. The change has caused the system to take a dump. Good. A starting ground.

If your system is dedicated, I would suggest taking a knife to it. Backup your work to CD, verify the CDs are functioning, and wipe the drive.

I mean, you've been chasing this mouse for a couple of weeks. You've tried it on another system (which probably shares the same software versions your machine has). Alot of time down the tubes. You can have it wiped and reloaded in a night.

Just do the base operating system, sound drivers, midi drivers, then Cubase.

I've had issues before (3 times) w/ driver conflict, and DLL conflict. A clean wipe fixed 'em.

Blind Cowboy...

...thanks for the replies...right now I'm trying to get an "activation-code" in order to use the LCC Wizard (syncrosoft) to download a valid license--this is the 1st error ("...no valid license...") reported by the syncrosoft program upon starting cubase...I'm hoping all I need is a valid license, however, I don't understand exactly what happened to the "valid license" that was at one time intact and working...very frustrating...does anyone know if steinberg or syncrosoft is in a position to provide a "valid license" or an "activation-code" that will enable me to use the LCC wizard to download a valid license...thanks again.

Back