Setting up a Yamaha 01v as a DAW control surface for Cubase SX3

OPTiK

Hi there.

Has anyone had any success with using a Yamamha 01v as a control surface for Cubase SX 3? If so, can you help me set up mine? I have tried everything, looked in both manuals and even called Steinberg and Yamaha for help and nothing so far.
I'm using the 01v's MIDI ins and outs though a generic Creative soundcard via joystick port through a PC to MIDI cable.

my midi cables are connected in the following way:

In > Out (01v)
Out > In (01v)

Any help would be great.

EDIT: I just installed the correct drivers for my soundcard which is actually an EnsoniqAudio PCI128 with a Creative ES1371 chipset. But never-the-less, still nothing is working it almost seems if my 01v is NOT sending MIDI Commands. Does anyone know if the "MIDI" indicator on the 01v will flash if it's sending MIDI commands?

If anyone wants to help me out over MSN such as going over settings and such, I'll provide my MSN address via PM.

you need to go under "device setup" in SX and hit the " + " button and add your o1v to it..its in the list.
Then select your midi's in and out's from that point.

OPTiK said:
Hi there.

Has anyone had any success with using a Yamamha 01v as a control surface for Cubase SX 3? If so, can you help me set up mine? I have tried everything, looked in both manuals and even called Steinberg and Yamaha for help and nothing so far.
I'm using the 01v's MIDI ins and outs though a generic Creative soundcard via joystick port through a PC to MIDI cable.

my midi cables are connected in the following way:

In > Out (01v)
Out > In (01v)

Any help would be great.

EDIT: I just installed the correct drivers for my soundcard which is actually an EnsoniqAudio PCI128 with a Creative ES1371 chipset. But never-the-less, still nothing is working it almost seems if my 01v is NOT sending MIDI Commands. Does anyone know if the "MIDI" indicator on the 01v will flash if it's sending MIDI commands?

If anyone wants to help me out over MSN such as going over settings and such, I'll provide my MSN address via PM.

Dude you need a USB conection from your PC to 01v then do as Markaholic said.

Hope that helps

Which 01v you've got?

Mine works great,i just figured it out last night ,its been 4 months since i got SL3 :rolleyes:

Markaholic said:
you need to go under "device setup" in SX and hit the " + " button and add your o1v to it..its in the list.
Then select your midi's in and out's from that point.

I have done all that. And I know it should work as soon as you ad the 01v to remote devices. But, I was talking to a another guy last night and he was saying something about hitting the memory key while in 'local off' mode and I should be getting some VST pages. I don't get that at all. All I get are my scene memory pages in 'local off' mode or 'local on'.
I think I may have outdated firmware. Mine's 1.05 and I know the latest is 1.06. I think this may be problem so if anyone has a 01v and it's working well with Cubase SX 3 or Nuendo 3 then can you please check your software version on the 01v?
This can be done by pressing holding MIDI and UTILITY while powering up the 01v.

Pinachi said:
Dude you need a USB conection from your PC to 01v then do as Markaholic said.

Hope that helps

Which 01v you've got?

Mine works great,i just figured it out last night ,its been 4 months since i got SL3 :rolleyes:

Well the other people I have been talking to don't have a USB connection and as mentioned above they seem to have no problems with midi connections.
I just have the regular 01v not the 01v96 or the 01v96V2. With that being said, there is no USB port on the 01v, just a 9pin miniDIN 'To Host' port for connection via serial cable to a PC (my next try)..

OPTiK

No.. no.. not VST pages with the memory... lol.. when you are in remote control mode.. the memory button controls which layer you are on. Memory page 1 = layer one = faders 1 though 16. If you want to control 17 through 32 then Memory page 2 needs to be active. What I suggested was checking to make sure that you were NOT on memory page 3 or 4 as those are used to control A Yamaha DSP Factory card.

Oh okay I get ya now... Sorry for the mixup!.. I'll give that a shot!...

Okay I just tried it out and it makes no difference what 'memory' page i'm on. If I move midi track fader 1, the physical fader on channel 7 moves. And here's even more of a kicker, If I turn ON local Control I can still do the above.
This is really starting to frustrate the hell out of me.. I don't know what to other then thought this thing out the f**kin' window!
I can't understand why everyones 01v works except for mine!!!! And the software version, soundcards, and cables have to be the problem. If I cannot get this thing to work I'll be more then happy to sell it!

Okay, just an update, I have just replaced my old sound card with a Yamaha DS1 sound card and the 01v is still not working. So I'm thinking it's the MIDI cable or the 01v that is the problem.
I'm getting nowhere real fast here people! :(

UPDATE::

Okay, I just went into cubase and added a generic contoller. I found link (http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/articles/item.cfm?THREADID=107&LANG=0) that explains how to set it up and I got to a page in cubase that looks similer to this

vst_remote_setup_screen_1.jpg

Now, I set it up so that all faders are on midi channel 1 and all address match the fader numbers and fags were set to transmit and receive.
I tried it out and it works with my 01v but I still cannot get control of the cubase mixer from the 01v.
Why would this work and not the 01v controller setup that is shipped with cubase? Very odd if you ask me!

Back