Recording VST instruments

Casio

I just bought an M-Audio keystation which is a keyboard basically. I get sound from it when I fire up the B4 program but when I try to use it as a VST instrument I do not get any sound from it. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to what I could do to be able to record with it.

Casio

I am not familiar with the M-audio keystation, and I am having a hard time with your brief description as to if this is a keyboard you are using to trigger VSTi's, or if it is a VSTi itself. From what you wrote I am assuming it is a hardward MIDI triggering device.

If this is the case, then make sure you select it as your MIDI in, and load a vsti and select the vsti as your MIDI out and you should be in business.

Hope that helps, if not, include more info about the keyboard and what your settings are that don't seem to be working.

Well the Keystation sends out midi data so this is a midi triggering device. I have been fiddling with the midi in and outs in cubase but with out any luck. I connect it via USB but there is also a midi output, will I have to connect the keyboard with that to get any sound or should the USB suffice?

Edit:

well I have been mocking around with this some more with out any luck.
I select "All Midi Inputs" the "In" pop up menu on the Inspector panel, then I select the VST instrument in the "Out" pop up menu (in this instance the B4) but nothing happens.

When I use the B4, just as a standalone (not through Cubase) I get a sound, but then I select "USB Audio Device" as an Inport and "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth" as output. This works fine.

This seems to work like the USB port activates the B4 and then the Wavetable SW Synth airs the activated or triggered sounds to my sperakers.
I was wondering if the Cubase lacks the way to air it... And I have the monitor turned on :)

Im just shooting blindly here, please correct me if I´m wrong so I can soon blast some crazy hammond chords :)

Last edited:
Couldn't think of what the problem could be, but if you get to that point where you are about to throw the damn thing out of the window, go buy yourself a Din-to-Gameport cable. Around 15 bucks at any electronics store, plug one side into your keyboard, and the other into your gameport and your all set. That's what I did (my keyboard doesn't have USB).

I am not familiar with whether or not a USB port is going to properly transmit MIDI info. I would hook up your keystation directly to your soundcard or midi interphase device, using the midi in and out ports on your keystation and your soundcard (or device) so they can properly interact. I set up my digital piano within Cubase so it is an option for the "midi in" boxes, but I would think that "all midi" option would work fine.

Select "all midi" for the input, select "(your vsti)" as the output. Click the record button on the track so you can monitor your vsti sound.

That should do it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I mocked with it some more and finally it´s working, I was able to select "USB Audio Device (emulated)" at the "In" pop up menu...

Thanks for the help!

Back