MIDI to Audio in Cubase SX

allmusic

How do I convert MIDI to audio file or wav file in Cubase SX? I'm a beginner, so please bare with me :rolleyes: I thought to play back MIDI file in Cubase while hitting Record in Wavelab - but Wavelab doesn't record anything. Could be that my soundcard, Audiophile 2696, doesn't support MIDI playback and I don't know how to use VSTi to reroute.... I'm lost, where do I start to figure this out?

MIDI is NOT audio. Hence, you cannot convert audio to MIDI or viceversa. If you have a soft synth routed to the MIDI output of the specific MIDI track, you could record the soft synth's audio signal to an audio track to hear the audio. I really suggest learning the basics at www.tweakheadz.com.

Check out www.cubase.net
There is a sticky on the top of the SX3 forum regarding this, everything is explained. Make sure you register your product there too, if you post a question and don't register it will be deleted.

Thank you guys for your tips. I've tried all the tricks and it still doesn't work. I'm thinking it's because of my soundcard, M-Audio 2496 - it doesn't support playing back MIDI on the computer speakers- so I always play back MIDI on the synth speakers (Yamaha Clavinova). I've heard there's a way around to rewire thru VSTi but I'm not there yet - it's all a little too much for now. In Cubase the only In and Out for sound is 'Delta AP MIDI'.... it gets me nowhere but back to my synth speakers.

I've heard there's a way around to rewire thru VSTi but I'm not there yet - it's all a little too much for now. In Cubase the only In and Out for sound is 'Delta AP MIDI'.... it gets me nowhere but back to my synth speakers.

You have to record the audio as an audio track, there is no other way to do it with an external synth. You can use a VSTi and then do it internal via audio mixdown, but there is no real reason to do that since when you have a vsti running, cubase automatically creates an audio track for it

So to add to all the great responses above:

to record the sounds that are coming from inside your keyboard, you must patch cable(s) from the keyboard's out(s) to the M-Audio 2496 in(s).

to record midi data you use a midi cable plugged to your soundcard (or USB, etc.) This gets recorded as a midi file, which can tell your keyboard to play back those sounds OUT of your keyboard (or a softsynth if you route it that way).

using a midi keyboard to trigger sounds from a softsynth and record it as a wav file, you need to engage the record button not on the midi track but on the softsynth's audiotrack.

Hope this helps, or at least makes sense, I started me drinkin' early today - Cheers, Rez

Back