large delay is causing sync problems

busboy

I'm having a problem with a long pause between sound input and monitor response.

Here's what I mean: I already have one guitar track recorded. I'm trying to lay a second guitar track over the top of the first. The problem is when I started recording the second track there was a 1 to 2 second pause between me actually strumming, and the sound actually playing through the headphones. It's like an echo or delay.
Even if I'm not recording anything, just testing for levels or something, every sound is delayed about 1 to 1 1/2 seconds. Obviously this makes live monitoring nearly impossible for recording new tracks.

Now here is the really odd part. If I take off my headphones and just play along with the other track, everything records just fine. Everything plays back perfectlly syncronized, it's just if I try to monitor the live sound while I play that causes so many problems.

I'm not very good at describing what is going on, but hopefully you get the idea. If you have any ideas what might be causing this, please let me know.

thank

Hi busboy,

I suspect it has something do between the way you monitor with headphones and the way you monitor through your speakers, and whether you are monitoring from the output of your card, or via software. What type of sound setup is this?

Sorry for the short reply, but if you tell me what your exact setup is I may be able to help better - Version of Cubase, Type of soundcard, are you using a mixer etc...

Thanks,

Emeric

Well, I'm using Cubase VST Score 3.55. The soundcard I'm using is just an plain old Ensoniq PCI full duplex card. The mic I'm using is plugged directly into the "line in" jack on my card. The mixer I'm using is the Cubase VST mixer that is included with the software package.

As far as I know (which may be incorrect for that matter), this is the sound path: the sound goes from my amp, to the mic, through the soundcard, and out of the monitor speakers or headphones as the case may be. However like you said, I may be routing through the software someplace.

I was reading the NOVEL they call a users' guide and I get the impression that it may have something to do with the buffers setting? But when I checked the buffer delay sync slider in the ASIO Sync window it was set at its lowest setting. Am I going to be stuck with this delayed echo?

Another short reply.

You should upgrade to latest version,

3.65, see if this changes anything in the meantime.

BTW.. I don't quite understand this part.. can you elaborate?

Now here is the really odd part. If I take off my headphones and just play along with the other track, everything records just fine. Everything plays back perfectlly syncronized, it's just if I try to monitor the live sound while I play that causes so many problems.

Emeric

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 06-29-1999).]

In order to monitor sound input I have to unmute the mic via the soundcard's mixer. This way I can hear the new track through the headphones as I play along with the original track. Now, since the sound for the new track is delayed a little, it sounds like the two tracks would be recorded out of sync. However, when they're played back, they are just fine. I think it's because the sound is just delayed to the headphones. The soundcard actually records them in sync but for some reason delays the signal to the headphones.

Is that a reasonable explaination for the delay?

Since it's too difficult to try to ignore the out of sync audio, I just muted the mic so the new track wouldn't play through the headphones. Now it still inputs a signal to the soundcard, it just doesn't play through the headphones. I guess just playing along with the original track without monitoring the new track is a plausible solution, but it doesn't really fix the actual problem.

how much would an update to 3.65 cost?

by the way, sorry my explainations are confusing.

thanks for the responses!
smile.gif

Busboy,

Are there settings for ASIO or DirectX in your hardware settings within cubase? You should be using DirectX if possible, if not your stuck with MME, which will have a significant delay or latency as it is usually reffered to with this type of problem. I doubt there are ASIO drivers available for the ensonic.

Accoring to Creative's site the esonic does support Direct sound. I would download the latest drivers for the ensonic, DirectX 6 if you don't already have it, and check your hardware settings in cubase so it is using DirectX and not ASIO.

Emeric

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 06-30-1999).]

Back