EZ Drummer or Addictive Drums?

Phildo

I heart guitars!
Sorry about the cross-posting on this one (I've put it up in the Drums forum, too)...

I'm just after people's impressions of the above VSTi's - ease of use, CPU oerhead, etc - what do you guys think of them? I'm treating myself to one or other of them after Xmas, so I'd value any input you have.

I'm more interested in programming my own drum patterns, and was blown away with the EZ Drummer sounds - but to be honest, I hadn't even thought about Groove Agent. I'll check it out.

I'm not familiar with Addictive Drums, but have heard some really great tracks produced with EZ Drummer. I'd say it's a safe bet.

I was thinking of trying EZ Drummer but, as far as I can tell, it only supports 16bit samples. You might want to consider BFD. I think it going to be my Christmas present to myself.

Joe.

justanotherjo said:
I was thinking of trying EZ Drummer but, as far as I can tell, it only supports 16bit samples. You might want to consider BFD. I think it going to be my Christmas present to myself.

Joe.

What's the problem with 16 bit samples? They sound just fine to me and I'm using them within Sonar recording in 24/44.1. They don't take away from anything else I've recorded in a project in 24 bit, and aren't devoid of dynamic range.

Guess I'm just curious why it's an issue for you. ;) Haven't heard anyone really complain about it.

Phildo:

I hope you will follow both of your threads because there are posts in both. If history repeats itself, one will suffer from follow ups.

Yep - I'm following both threads.

I've heard some horror stories about CPU overhead for BFD, though. Looks like I'm gonna end up with EZ Drummer with the Vintage EZX (brushes...nice!). No prob here with 16-bit samples.

Well, BFD is a pretty extensive app compared to EZ. EZ's concept is creating quick, great sounding drum tracks. Some have complained that there isn't enough control over the samples, etc., but that's not why EZ was created. If you want the control, get BFD. Simple as that.

I'm going to download the Addictive Drums demo soon - just to check it out. Looks like a pretty cool app as well, but I've had a good time with EZ.

I like EZ-Drummer pretty well....I have the DFH samples, and they are cool.

I also have DFHS, and if you want great flexability, that's a pretty awesome program. I'm terrible with programming, so like EZ-Drummer for the quicker stuff. Good sounds though.

warble2 said:
Still waiting for someone to tell me what's wrong with the 16 bit samples in EZ Drummer. :rolleyes:

I've never had any problems with it and I record all my stuff in 24bit.

EZ sounds real good and it's real simple to use.

I suck at programming drums just like Dogman so it makes things pretty easy. :o

warble2 said:
Still waiting for someone to tell me what's wrong with the 16 bit samples in EZ Drummer. :rolleyes:

I've not compared the samples that come with EZ Drummer and BFD, and I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with the EZ Drummer samples. It's just that in general--as we are all aware--24 bit gives you better resolution than 16 bit. Moreoever, I wouldn't doubt that the EZ Drummer samples were originally recorded in 16 bit.

I know that there are many considerations that go into the purchase of a piece of software, and I thought I would help by pointing out what I feel is a limitation of EZ Drummer. If I've learned anything about recording in the digital world, it's that it is often better get the product--in my price range of course--with the fewest limitations even if it's more than I might need. That goes for hardware or software.

BTW, I don't appreciate you rolling your eyes at me. It's not polite in person, and it's not polite online. I'm sorry if I didn't respond to your request that I explain myself quickly enough. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Joe.

justanotherjo said:
I've not compared the samples that come with EZ Drummer and BFD, and I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with the EZ Drummer samples. It's just that in general--as we are all aware--24 bit gives you better resolution than 16 bit. Moreoever, I wouldn't doubt that the EZ Drummer samples were originally recorded in 16 bit.

I know that there are many considerations that go into the purchase of a piece of software, and I thought I would help by pointing out what I feel is a limitation of EZ Drummer. If I've learned anything about recording in the digital world, it's that it is often better get the product--in my price range of course--with the fewest limitations even if it's more than I might need. That goes for hardware or software.

BTW, I don't appreciate you rolling your eyes at me. It's not polite in person, and it's not polite online. I'm sorry if I didn't respond to your request that I explain myself quickly enough. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Joe.

It wasn't my intention to make you feel unwelcome, I simply was looking for an explanation as to why you feel that the 16 bit samples in EZ Drummer would make it not worth looking at/listening to the product. Without listening to the samples or using the product and just using generalizations, doesn't really provide for a fair assessment. EZ isn't quite as extensive as BFD, but as most who have used EZ will agree, you can get great sounding tracks with ease.

:) No more roll eyes and Happy Holidays.

Back