Cubase AI free

I got AI free when I bought a Steinberg Interface. I never downloaded it because of data limitations on my cell internet.
I am now trying to find a place to download it because I am sick of Garageband limitations and weird unwanted
setting changes that GB seems to do on its own. Because of that I am not going to go to Logic.
If I go to AI will I notice a marked improvement in my DAW experience???

I consider GB to be a toy. The move to Cubase might come across as daunting because there is so much more to it than GB. Stick with it and take the time to learn how to use it. Once you get past the technical learning curve, you can enjoy the creative side.

Improvement? That depends on your perception of it. You can do more with Cubase, you can get it to do what you want. It is not as easy as GB and it can frustrating at times.

When I first started with Cubase, the free version was called Cubasis. Wow, quite a long time ago. I quickly outgrew it and bought a license for a more functional version. Still with Cubase after 14 years.

I got Cubase downloaded,15gigs, only because Verizon gifted me 15 gigs on account of the Corona situation,no joke,out of the blue.... and it was a pain to get the old license stuff to take but I got it going.... yes its complex but interesting ...AI.
I will be asking on forums about stuff for sure...
first issue... how can I import tracks one by one into Cube from GB..? I want to work on a certain song in Cube and see how it goes...
it didnt work to drag it over.... I did get a bounced version over as a 2 track but I want it to be track by track in Cube....
I'll start with that....

Not sure what GB is capable of doing. The easiest way is to export each track to a wav file. You will want to export each track solo'd and be sure to start at the very beginning of the song whether the track does or not. Meaning, let it export the silence as well as the audio. Then when you bring all your tracks into Cubase, they should all line up.

Does GB export to wav files? If not, maybe high quality MP3s.

I did export into the Cube project file..the files are greyed out and not selectble.....any other ideas????? there must be a way..

What type of file does Garage Band export? Your best bet would be to export GB files to a folder on your desktop. Open Cubase and import those files.

Make sure to create a separate project folder in Cubase for each separate project you have from GB.

I am going to learn Cube but right away I run into sht...windows that dont have obvious sizing handles,stuff changing out of the blue..
one thing is where is the obvious control clik for the moving cursor bar.....you can lose it and there isnt an obvious icon to get it back like in GB. GB might be a toy but its layout is BETTER than these pro daws...I hated Reaper because it was fkkd to get back to screens
and stuff. I noticed Cube is a german coded project... I would like to ask one of the 20 coders that are listed on their site..why couldnt you just make the Window sizing buttons like they are in any window....off/on/and right clik resize...is that a European thing to make it difficult??
I couldnt figure out how to make the mixer smaller...that shouldnt happen...maybe someone could make an aftermarket GUI for these DAWS that makes moving around as easy as GB...Apple coders are just better at making people GUIs.
I am glad I didnt buy either GB or Cube. DAWS arent worth buying until they make them easier to use..

Practice leads to perfection. When I first got into CB5 I was frustrated and almost gave it away with the UR-22 interface. Glad I didnt. Look online to youtube. Plenty of free classes.

I am going to learn Cube but right away I run into sht...windows that dont have obvious sizing handles,stuff changing out of the blue..
one thing is where is the obvious control clik for the moving cursor bar.....you can lose it and there isnt an obvious icon to get it back like in GB. GB might be a toy but its layout is BETTER than these pro daws...I hated Reaper because it was fkkd to get back to screens
and stuff. I noticed Cube is a german coded project... I would like to ask one of the 20 coders that are listed on their site..why couldnt you just make the Window sizing buttons like they are in any window....off/on/and right clik resize...is that a European thing to make it difficult??
I couldnt figure out how to make the mixer smaller...that shouldnt happen...maybe someone could make an aftermarket GUI for these DAWS that makes moving around as easy as GB...Apple coders are just better at making people GUIs.
I am glad I didnt buy either GB or Cube. DAWS arent worth buying until they make them easier to use..

WHOA!

Ok, so what you ran into at first is the fact that that you have more options and things that you really need control over if you want to create a great project.

Just 3 hours ago, I had a friend over that uses GarageBand. He had no idea what a 'crossfade' was. That is enough to tell me that he either has very limited experience, or that his GB DAW is not going to be the appropriate software for creating professional tracks.

I am not sure what to say here other than: take the time to learn a DAW software, or give up and pay someone who learned it and record for you.

It really isn't that tough if you take the time. Just the steps to record are the easy part. It gets way tougher when you have to figure out how to get things recorded.

Sorry, but if a DAW is too complicated, you need to pay someone to record you because there is a complete shit-ton more to learn and second guess yourself about...

No offense, but this is only the beginning...

A good 20 hours with Cubase 5, google and 10 years Cubasis experience and I'm on my way. Daunting at first but like others say, stick to it, learn it, use google/youtube and you'll get there. Eventually you'll outperform Garageband with a pro DAW (otherwise we'd all be using Garageband :laughings:)

Good luck and hope you stick with it.

Back