Anyway Too Improve quality??

LocTaktics

www.soundclick.com/loctaktics download my samples and let me know how I can make the quality better. Im Using a MI4 Preamp and a Rode NT1-A mic and Cubase Sl2.0. The only thing I do is add Dynamic Compression on my vocals.. thats all I know what to do.. lol anyone got any advice to make it as clean as velvet using Cubase Sl2.0??

You might want to post this in one of the more general recording forums, or the mp3 clinic for more feedback, as it's not really a Cubase-specific question. In fact, the software itself will have very little to do with your overall sound. The critical areas are your voice, mic, preamp, soundcard/interface and recording room. The role of the software is just to capture your pristine signal.

The NT1 is a decent mic to start out on. It is bright and crisp. I'm not familiar with that preamp. What compressor are you using and what settings? Is your recording space acoustically treated?

I am of the mind that you can produce very good quality recordings at home, with the right combination of equipment and skill (critical). However, if you are after some elusive "pro" result, you may have to look further.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok yeah sorry, I posted it up here because Im using Cubase and Im lost, so I thought yeah maybe you guys use something for vocals that I dont know about.
Well on the side where it says "insert" I right click and select Dynamics, then under that lil option thing I select compressor and use the default settings which is, Threshold = -25.0db, Ratio = 4.0:1, Attack = 10.0ms, Release = 100m and I play with the MakeUp Gain to suite the mix. As for my recording room, I havent padded up the walls with that foam yet so if I played just the vocals without the music, you can hear the slight echo sound of being in a room, but yea that sort of gets covered up over the music.
Anything else you might know? I listen to people talking about EQ. Whats that about? How do I apply? Do I even need it?

LocTaktics said:
Ok yeah sorry, I posted it up here because Im using Cubase and Im lost, so I thought yeah maybe you guys use something for vocals that I dont know about.
Well on the side where it says "insert" I right click and select Dynamics, then under that lil option thing I select compressor and use the default settings which is, Threshold = -25.0db, Ratio = 4.0:1, Attack = 10.0ms, Release = 100m and I play with the MakeUp Gain to suite the mix. As for my recording room, I havent padded up the walls with that foam yet so if I played just the vocals without the music, you can hear the slight echo sound of being in a room, but yea that sort of gets covered up over the music.
Anything else you might know? I listen to people talking about EQ. Whats that about? How do I apply? Do I even need it?

I'm not very fond of the Cubase Dynamics plugin. In fact, most of the plugins that come with Cubase are not so good. Don't fret, though, because there are some very good free VST plugins out there.

Try:
Kjaerhus Classic Plugs
Digital Fishphones Plugs

The Classic Compressor and Blockfish Compressor are both great, as are the other plugins on those sites.

I don't record hip hop, but for vocals, I try to keep processing simple:
De-esser (if needed) - as an insert effect
Compression (if needed) - as an insert effect
Reverb (small amount) - as a send effect

that's it.

Thanks Scrubbs. Legend. Ill download most of the plug-ins on that site and have a play around with them, they look very useful.
Thanks again

Back