Graphic Dynamics SF8

rontokyo

I'm afraid I don't understand the help menu explanation re: the Graphic Dynamics plug. I'd like to increase the volume of a file--this will require the use of compression--so as to match the volume of other files. I'm uncertain as to how to use Ratio, Threshold, and Gain [plus Auto gain compensate]. Sure, I've screwed around with it, but I'm pretty much shooting in the dark. Also, the VU meter indicates clipping after processing, altough I don't hear it. Help appreciated.

If you want to compress the tracks without the specifics of the graphic dynamics plug, you can go to wave hammer and pick one of the presets from the library (medium compression, or something).

if you're just looking to match volume levels, the easiest way is to use the maximizer on the second tab of the wave hammer plug in. i think the second fader adjusts the limit of the peaks, and the first adjusts where the maximization kicks in. if you're not looking for super precision, i'd start with this plug.

you may not hear clipping if the peaks occur at transients and aren't too many samples in duration. i'm not a fan of the "auto gain compensation" setting since i like to control the gain myself. using this feature, you can easily clip things if your attack is too slow and your gain reduction is aggressive. if you're concerned about clipping, use the plug in chainer and follow your compression with a limiter (or compressor with attack set to 0 and maximum compression ratio).

the graphic dynamic plug in is really nice to use for gating and expansion, but if you're just looking to level things out i'd go with mandocaster's suggestion with presets on the wave hammer, or use the volume maximizer on the second tab of wave hammer without the compressor (or in addition to the compressor to ensure everything's below 0dB. just set your peak and threshold to the same value where you want to limit).

good luck,
marcus

Back