VS-1680 or Pro Tools free

MartyMcFly

I am a VS-1680 user. I have been for almost 2 years now. And it's not like I'm talking just once and a while here...I mean everyday.
My problem is this...Lately all I hear about is Pro Tools, Cakewalk, Qbase and a bunch of other programs for recording on the computer(mainly Pro Tools Free). But are they really any faster or better or easier to use than a DAW?
I have been messing about on Pro Tools Free but I feel like I am not using it to its full potential so I am hesitant to judge it against the VS 1680. I like the way you can see the wavefiles really big on a computer monitor and trim them down without permantly destroying the takes. Also how you can just grab sections and move them from one track or location to the other. But I just cant see beyond that, how these programs can be any better. Although Ive never even attempted to do these things with my VS. Just strait recording without loops and edits.
I know that you can get Logic VS for doing that specifically with a VS recorder. But is that as good as say Pro Tools? I have grown fond of messing around in Pro Tools Free environment. even though I havent really done anything with PTF yet
I would appreciate any feedback...

If you are comfortable in ProTools, then go with it. The 1680 is easy, ProTools is hard but powerful. It really depends on your computer speed, along with if you are mac or PC.

ProTools Free is very limited. A Digi 001 system is good, but there isn't really anything that you can do with it that you can't do with a 2480 and a computer ( I know you're on a 1680, but now I've come to comparing Roland to ProTools!)

If you're comfortable with PT, then get it. Remember, though, that you have to have some mic pre's, and a console (if you don't want to mix with a mouse, which sucks!) If you do get PT, then at least get a Digi 001 system, PT Free is way too limited (at least for me.)

Good luck with it, and please let us know how it turns out!

Darth

There will be a bit of a learning curve whenever switching formats. I.e., VS to software based recording.

Personally, I've used the VS880 along with Cakewalk and/or Cubase since the VS880 came out. I'm finally resolving to retiring the VS880 in favor of Cubase for at least two reasons:

1) Easier editing such as dragging and dropping wav clips.

2) Ease of sequencing. Especially because I sync Cubase/Cakewalk with the VS anyways so I'll just eliminate the VS step.

I already have converters and pre's so the VS isn't as necessary in the process.

Which isn't to say I don't love my VS. I just haven't used it for quite a while. ;)

Back