Roland SPD20, so info would be nice

Helmut

Has anyone got a Roland SPD 20, I need someone to help me decide if it is worthwhile buying. Basically I want to know how well it sounds for recording purposes (preferably out of experience) and I would like to know if the Bass drum triggers can be doubled to get a double base like Pantera, metallica etc. Cheers my peers.

I never had an SPD-20, but I did have an SPD-11 for a long time, as well as sold them for a while. They are virtually the same machine, only the 20 has more sounds.I am quite familiar with how they work/sound/feel/record/play.
I am not sure what you are thinking of paying for one, nor what your wanting the thing to do. If you can answer those questions for me, I can answer your question of worth.

I can answer your bass question, maybe, I think. That is, if I understand what your asking. It is a little confusing the way you have worded it. So let me answer it in all ways.

If by doubling you mean LAYER sounds, YES you can layer TWO sounds on the SPD's.

If by doubling you mean hook up two bass drum triggers to the bass trigger input, YES you can hook TWO Roland KD-7's, and then a double bass pedal or two singles. But a cheaper route here would be to buy a PINTECH bass trigger. They are like $35 or something, compared to $150 or so for the Roland KD-7. AND the PINTECH has a trigger surface big enough for TWO beaters which means you only need one trigger to have double bass capabilities!!!

If you mean double by the SOUND that the artists listed make, then YES, if you edit the sounds and add the 'click' that those two guys get. This is accomplished on real drums by either putting half-dollars on the bass drum head where the beater strikes, or in the case of Vinnie Paul of PANTERA, he uses DANMAR kick triggers to trigger samples that he mixes with the sound from the drum. The bass drum triggers have a strip of metal in them, thus the 'click' on his sound.

If you mean double some other way, then I have no idea!!!

Latre....

Sorry....

Forgot to answer your question about recording the SPD's.

The SPD-11 is 16bit, and the 20, I THINK might be 18bit, but I could be wrong. Roland doesn
t even tell you on thier website!!

Anyway, that difference is small, and really unnoticable.

I record several times with my SPD-11, and it always sound great. About as great as a drum machine does, but since I was playing the parts with sticks, the recordings had a better human feel to them. If you are going to get an SPD-20, you might want to figure in the cost of buying external triggers to set it up like a kit. With only the 8 pads built-in, it is not possible to record a live drum part all at once. You at LEAST need a kick trigger. There is a high-hat attachment that you can get, but it is around $200. You also have FOUR stereo trigger inputs in addition to the hat and kick. These work with any two zone pad. One sound on the drum. One sound on the rim. OR you can get a 'y' adaptor (from like Radio Shack) and use TWO mono or one zone pads. Doing that gives you EIGHT MORE PADS!!! IN ADDITION TO THE KICK AND HAT!!!

So my thoughts on the SPD's boil down to this:

By the time you spend the money to get the thing set up to it's potential, you had might as well bought an electronic drum set. Same price, but the electronic set would be a better way to go.

By the way, stay away from the SPD-8. No built in sounds!!!

If you don't need a whole lot of ethnic percussion sounds, then save money and go for a SPD-11 in good used condition. Make sure it was treated with respect. The nature of electronic drums is that the eventually all die. Think about it. Your beating a sensitive piece of electronic with a stick, thousands and thousands of times. Even the best crap out on you!! So it is always best to buy from someone that wasn't a 'basher', or someone that didn't play them like they were real drums. You would be suprised to see how hard people hit those things when they go the headphones on, and are in thier own little world jamm'n out.

You might want to go to a busy music store's drum department one weekend, and just observe how people beat the shit out of the electronic drums. It really is sad.
But there ARE people who don't do that...It's just the fact that there are some that do that is disturbing.

Latre...

Thanks BakedProductions??. The info helps, i was actually thinking the same looking at all the costs involved (refering to what you said about buying a electronic kit rather than the spd20 with all the add-ons). I will re-think my action.

Back