boss br1600 or?

JimmyDee

I'm looking into buying a boss br1600 or an aw1600 yamaha.
Both have about the same functions. What do you guys say? Is the yamaha maybe better quality? Or the boss?

If anyone can help me make this decision, would be great!

thanks!!!

Jimmy

My understanding of the Yamaha is that the last 8 tracks are 4 linked pairs that can't be unlinked. If that isn't a problem for you, then I'd probably go for the Yamaha over the Boss. Not sure what the deal is on that unit, but, I believe, the Yamaha can also do 24 bit recording. At least, I seem to remember reading that when I was researching DAWS last September.

For a couple of hundred dollars more, you might want to look at the Korg D3200, or the Roland VS2000CD, which is being sold for about $1,500.00 USD right now.

I chose the VS2000CD over the Yamaha (and the Korg), btw.

Go to Rolandus.com and check out the demo video's...take your time picking and make sure you see some demo's before buying one!

hey, thanks for the reply:)

I've seen all the vids by now, I've read all the forum's. I'm thinking about buying the boss because of it's effects. Although on the other side the yamaha seems more of a quality product to me. Does anyone have experience with the br1600 or with the yamaha? Or both:)

thx

Jimmy

I owned a BR1600 and traded "up" to a VS-2000. The VS-2000 is a more powerful machine and with more power comes more choices. Maybe too many choices. I kinda miss the simplicity of my BR1600.

I've heard that the preamps and a/d conversion is better on the Yamaha unit than on the BR1600, but who really knows. If you're goal is to get tracking and record your songs with the least amount of fuss the BR1600 is a GREAT machine.

I had the BR-1600 it's easy to use and has 8 xlr ins to record 8 tracks at a time and the burner on it which is great. The harmonizer is pretty useless and fake sounding unless you keep it back in the mix.It doesn't work in real time you have to record the vocal by itself and then apply the effect on playback.I have a Digitech vocalist that works in real time the vocal tool box on the BR1600 does not.The guitar and reverb effects on the boss are good and the knobs for tweaking are handy too.

Again...thanks for your info! It's really appreciated over here:)

My goal is to record a band live, as well as lay down a song track by track. I've figured that for the time being, I have enough with 8 tracks being recorded at once, more is maybe for the future.

I've read a lot (if not the whole) of the manuals. I've read lot's of reviews and user reviews and can't really decide which one suites me the most. So I got my *ss over to the musicstore yesterday (which was an hour drive!) and played with both machines a little bit. I think the boss is more of a guitarist machine, while the yamaha has more of an overall better feeling. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be the boss.

While playing with all the recorders there I saw that next to the yamaha and the boss, the korg d3200 is available as well. This one is 200 euro's more expensive. Of course I couldn't help but play with that one as well. And I REALLY liked it. I'm thinking of buying that one now. So the boss is out of the picture, and the korg has taken the leadspot for now:P After spending a lot of time (again) on the net reading user reviews and everything I could find on the unit's I wonder if someone here has any experience with them.?

In two weeks I will have enough money to start my home studio, and in two weeks I will buy one of them:P

so replies, suggestions, advise, it's all welcome! :)

thanks,

Jimmy

JimmyDee,
I am looking for a unit like you. Please post your results after you get started. Also, what monitors and power amp (if needed)

thanks, good luck

JimmyDee said:
I'm looking into buying a boss br1600 or an aw1600 yamaha.
Both have about the same functions. What do you guys say? Is the yamaha maybe better quality? Or the boss?

If anyone can help me make this decision, would be great!

thanks!!!

Jimmy

Hey JimmyDee,

I am not going to rant and rave about what is better than what here, All I am going to say is that I have the Boss BR1600CDR and it is brilliant!

Easy to use, heaps of extra's!

For a demo on what you can do with the Boss BR1600 I have two tracks recorded entirely using the Boss unit and nothing else, apart from my guitars obviously!

The track "Hyperactive Wah Wah" I used a Wah Wah pedal in the guitar chain!
The other track "One Of These Days" is recorded using just my Fender Stratocaster and my Jackson bass.

The drums can be programmed but I just used some preset patterns.

I really enjoy using the Boss! :)

Click on the link below and go to the music page if you want to hear the two tunes I recorded using the Boss BR1600.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

I've found a deal and I'm going for the korg d16xd. This seems to be a top of the line korg model with a lot of capabilities.

I've been to the musicstore, and played with the boss and the yamaha (and the korg d3200). The yamaha seemed to me like a decent product, but maybe a little too complicated for me (not sure though).

The boss br1600cd was really nice as well, except it seems to be more aimed for the guitarist. I'm a guitarist as well, but I'll be recording as much vocals as guitars, so my search went on to an all round recording device.

The korg d16xd is the next step pricewise, but it really suits my needs (I hope). It has good preamps on all the channels, the ability to mix your songs up to 96 khz. Overall I think it would be the better choise for me. Tomorrow morning I'm going to buy it....

I'll definately give you my review once I've thoroughly tested it this weekend:)

gr,

Jimmy

p.s. that's the taylor t5! Awesome guitar dude! Taylor rules...

and we're back!

I drove for 7 hours last saturday!! But it was well worth it. The korg. I got home, plugged it in (through my p.a. speakers because I don't have any monitors at the moment). Took the manual, and started following the "easy start guide".

I have to say that the manual is pretty good and easy to follow. Within 15 minutes I had made my first little recording. I've been playing with it the whole weekend and found out many of it's features. I REALLY love the touchscreen. "how do I equalize this part"? You just reach for the screen and adjust everything easily. easy to use, you can insert the effects before/during/after recording, and actually change the effect afterwards as well. There are 8 inserteffects, 2 master effects and 1 final effect. That's enough for me at least. The effects on their own are better than I thought, as well as the preamps.

Then my biggest concern, the audio quality. Amazing. I recorded the first little track at 16 bit/ 44 khz, mixed it (a little bit) and burned it to cd. Played it in several different players around my house and I love it already. and then to think this beast can record up to 24 bit/96 khz.

I'm happy with the choice I made. the korg d16xd definately rocks my socks.

peace,

JD

Back