What is your favorite stock ProTools Plugin?

Drumz519

So, I'm sure you guys have tons of funky plugins that you've bought/downloaded but out of the stock plugs that come with ProTools, what's your favorite?

I have to say, I'm a fan of the EQIII.

EQIII and Compressor/limiter III. I run a lot of freeware VST plugins (with the fxpansion adapter) and strangely, there are really very few decent free VST EQ plugs. However, I think EQIII is up there with many expensive plugins. It sounds great. And Comp/LimIII, though it doesn't do much for me on drums, is absolutely great on vocals.

I'd have to agree with eqIII as well. Not a bad eq at all, but also not the best one I have. As far as good, relatively cheap verbs go, try MasterVerb5 by wavearts. While it is far more difficult and processor hungry than dverb it does sound so much better.

there are very few (if any) free ones that are good
if you're not looking to spend a lot of money get the VST wrapper and download the classic package from these guys:

Thanks for the suggestions.

While searching around I stumbbled onto this article. It is pretty old (2003), but since I'm new to Pro-Tools, this info is new to me. It had some tips for using D-Verb. I think I'll look closely at these tips before I start dropping cash for pluggins.

[Oop... the forum won't let me post the link until I've posted a few more times. I guess it's as good an anti-spam policy as any. I'll edit this post at a later time with the link.]

Daren

just copy and paste the article

I'd like to too, but is was a bit long and had images (screenshots) to refer to.

You can google search for "D-Verb". A listing comes up high in the search result titled "Making the Most of D-Verb" The article is published by Sound On Sound (SOS).

Daren

the delay is useful if you set it up on an aux track and setup up a feedback loop on the same aux. why didnt they include feedback in the plugin itself? i dont know....

also, expand is my quick "go to" soft synth.

tlspace and smack le are great. technically, they arent stock, but they are included in the music production toolkit, which should be standard anyway...

also, expand is my quick "go to" soft synth.
Funny, I completely forgot about Xpand. I love that thing. There's some solid stuff in there and plenty of parameters to fine tune the sounds to what you're looking for. I can't wait to see what some of the higher-end soft synths are capable of.

I like the new compression in 7.X. The presets for bass, vocals and drums work well without changing a thing. I just discovered using the brick wall setting on a lifeless snare drum. Works great.

bilco

Back