Tips for limiting CPU usage

kno1ills@yahoo.

Anyone have any methods or tips they use to help limit the CPU usage in Protools, aside from recording to an external HD? 2 mono more usage than 1 stereo...etc? I'm running PT LE 7.1.1 on an intel iMac with 1.5 gb ram and 2 ghz processor. Thanks

How did you manage to do that? And also you know there is a setting that you can do that let's you setup the usage and the limits for your computer in protools itself.

^That's what I did. The old one was just lying around in the closet. If you're gonna do it, unplug the usb from mbox and plug in the firewire from your target(my broke one) to host (working one) mac while the target is off. Turn on the target and hold down 'T' until it appears as a hard drive in the host mac. Then plug in the usb to the mbox. Assign the hard drive as playback or record or both in workspace under the window menu bar.

I use a PC..but am thinking about getting a mac...now cant you just open the mac like you can a PC and put a hard drive in?

I do believe so but your best bet would be to get an external drive and run either firewire or usb.

Turn off airport. Does the trick for me if anything ever starts to chug. On a mbp 2.16 Ghz 2 gigs of ram. No problems running 32 voice sessions with 3 or 4 plugins on most tracks, lots of sends and auxes in PTLE 7.4.

I do have an external harddrive and would recommend you get one too.

Turn off airport. Does the trick for me if anything ever starts to chug. On a mbp 2.16 Ghz 2 gigs of ram. No problems running 32 voice sessions with 3 or 4 plugins on most tracks, lots of sends and auxes in PTLE 7.4.

I do have an external harddrive and would recommend you get one too.

If the mix starts to become even remotely "heavy" I have to switch airport off too. Very annoying. PT won't even play back with airport on if there's mroe than about 10-15 tracks and a few plugs...

Messi, are you running Leopard? I have massive issues if I want to use Strike or Eleven with my macbook. I only have 1gb of ram though...

Would using a firewire interface like mbox 2 pro or digi 002, 003 help this? The -9129 message says usb playback. So fire wire is fast right?

So mac's are not as easy to install ram,HD's,Pci's..into?

I think now they make them easier to but in most cases it's best to get a external drive that way if you want to just grab and go you can, but really it's just whatever is best for you. I just prefer external drives

Would using a firewire interface like mbox 2 pro or digi 002, 003 help this? The -9129 message says usb playback. So fire wire is fast right?

Firewire is "suppossed" to be faster than usb. And for you to be getting a usb error you might want to try tweaking your settings in protools as far as your cpu usage and your samples. Or you could be trying to run to many things at once. What is the specs on your computer and are you running a mac or pc?

Firewire is "suppossed" to be faster than usb. And for you to be getting a usb error you might want to try tweaking your settings in protools as far as your cpu usage and your samples. Or you could be trying to run to many things at once. What is the specs on your computer and are you running a mac or pc?

It's a Mac intel core duo 2 ghz, 1.5 gb ram, OS 10.4.11 Running PT 7.1.1
I'm using the original mbox but if it's worth it to upgrade I might get a 002 or mbox 2 pro.

Messi, are you running Leopard? I have massive issues if I want to use Strike or Eleven with my macbook. I only have 1gb of ram though...

Nah, I'm on 10.4.x . It took Digi so long to make LE Leopard-compatible that by the time it was, Apple were no longer doing their Leopard blow-out...

Nah, I'm on 10.4.x . It took Digi so long to make LE Leopard-compatible that by the time it was, Apple were no longer doing their Leopard blow-out...

Leopard is so slow anyway. I hate it. I'm gonna upgrade to 4GB of Ram, but I don't feel I should need to do that to surf the bloody web a bit quicker.

I didn't realise 10.4.11 was supported by PT?

Also, changing to a 002 or MBox pro won't help solve your problem.

10.4.11 is not supported. 10.4.9 is the highest revision of Tiger supported by Pro Tools (7.4) however Pro Tools 7.1.1 is supported by 10.4.8 as the highest revision...

This could be the source of your problems....

Back