Protools Vocal effects

Jacob2096

Hey dudes,

Im very new to recording music, and would like a bit of help from the "pro" Pro tool users :cool:

Im recording hiphop, and i would like to double up on the vocals. Also adding in adlibs etc.

Also making some of the vocals sound slowed down, as in playing really slow it gets that deep slurred sound. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jacob
Sydney - Australia

Im recording hiphop, and i would like to double up on the vocals. Also adding in adlibs etc.

create a new track.
press record....record a doubled vocal or your adlibs

Also making some of the vocals sound slowed down, as in playing really slow it gets that deep slurred sound.

find a plugin that will slow. or use Pro Tools' time compression/expansion tool to stretch the vocal out. Warning though that most plugins that try and keep the same pitch (without dropping your vocal octaves) will start adding artifacts the further you stretch your sound. Those that don't add artifacts, will drop the pitch of your voice

What are artifacts?

anything that gets added to your audio file as you process it.
try it. take an audio file and try stretching it to make it twice as long as it was when you originally recorded. The more you stretch it, the crappier it begins to sound.

okay, how do i stretch it lol?

Ive had protools for like a week i got no idea :confused:

So for examble would adding reverb after i recorded the track be an artifact?

Cheers,

Jacob

So for examble would adding reverb after i recorded the track be an artifact?
I don't believe that this would be considered an artifact. Artifacts are generally considered something that wasn't originally in the track; pops, buzzes, clips, etc. are examples.

Here's a wiki for ya!

I don't believe that this would be considered an artifact. Artifacts are generally considered something that wasn't originally in the track; pops, buzzes, clips, etc. are examples.

Here's a wiki for ya!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've got a few ancient artifacts in my studio

NAH I avois messing with time & pitch due to the unnaturel noises it puts in to the processed audio

DOUBLING VOCAL try ADT (artificial double tracking). Create a mono aux channel, put a short delay on it, pan the aux channel left & your vocal right. Now feed your voice via a pre fader bus into your aux channel & reduce the delay time so the voice sounds thicker rather than obviously delayed 40-60ms is where I usually end up if I use ADT

ta-ra

Ahh cool thanks for that.

Once i get to actually know how to use pro tools ill have to give it a try!

i messed aroudn with time delay last night it wasnt really doing what i wanted it to do.

some of you may have heard of "chopped and screwed music" which is slowed down vocals etc. I want to sort of create that effect.

I've got a a half dozen free videos that will walk you through the basics of pro tools under the downloads link of multiplatinum pro tools (link in my signature). They'll get you up & running at least, and show you how to use the timestretch tools. :)
Adan

Back