midi drum tracks in pt8

jahlal

Hi,
so, up until now I have been using a seperate instrument track for each drum sound, kick, snare, hi-hat etc, and insert my instrument on each of the tracks, im using komplete7, so its pretty taxing on the cpu...

my question is, because im usually using the same kit, can i record everything on the same track and then jus aux out each drum sound to another track without having to insert the instrument onto each subsequent track? i just want to find ways to conserve cpu power, i can continue doing it the way im doing, just wondering what is best for midi drums...yes, im a novice producer, but not a novice songwriter/performer,lol...i can get my songs out pretty well, but they just seem to take ages...i need to find ways to speed everything up...

thanks in advance to all who respond

When I first started with pro tools, I took a similar approach due to lack of knowledge, and found if I just created the drums as a separate project I could bounce it to disk as wav and import it into my song as a sample.

This will lower cpu usage, but is not ideal for several reasons. Since then I have been using Battery which allows you to create very robust custom kits. If you got the extra money Battery is pretty awesome, but I am sure someone else can recommend a better, less expensive way to get the results you are after :]

yeah, ive just got komplete7, and battery has taken my drums to a whole new level...i can finally feel confident that my programming can achieve the results i need; ive pretty much sorted out that doing the whole drums on one track using battery then routing each drum sound out to a seperate track is the way to go...its made things a lot easier...Battery is pretty damn amazing, imo...

Back