how to master and Eq a live room recording?

Ms A

Hi all, I am new to this site. I hope that I posted in the right section.

Usualy when i am recording music i do it with numerous tracks,, i am not too familiar with how to treat one live track recorded with a 2 room mics.

so the question is.. when you have a acoustic guitar and vocals recorded live; What are the best ways to eq and master the track? Any Plugins that work better than others? Any Tricks as to how to pull the boomy sound out of the guitar and still keep the vocals meaty and above the guitar?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Cheers
-A

Well, this is the Pro Tools forum. Are you using Pro Tools for the tracking/mixing/mastering of this live project?

Let me help you out before the sharks get here to tear you up (this can be kind of a ruthless forum when it comes to newbies!).

First-off, there's a n00b forum wherein you should post any questions you may have here at the beginning of your recording journey. It behooves you to assume you've just entered a forum wherein you will find a hell of a lot of people that know a hell of a lot more than you: take our advice! :)

Second-off, the questions you're asking are literally impossible to answer, especially when we can't hear the aforementioned track. There are no universal EQ settings, because no two recordings are quite the same: most aren't even similar. The answer to your boominess question depends on where it was recorded, which guitar the person used, what the person's voice sounds like, where the mic's were placed, which mic's you used, and that's just the simple stuff! All of these factors play enormous rolls in which frequencies might need adjusting and such.

Third-off, mastering is the final process in recording before reproduction. The process is usually handled by a mastering engineer, in an incredibly well-treated room, with equipment that costs much more than your car, as it is such a different process from tracking/mixing. However, as you're most likely doing this on a budget (read: ~$0.00) you'll have to do some simple mastering yourself. In general, you'll most likely want to apply some compression (if you know how to use a multiband compressor, now's a good time to use one) and, if you're going for that "OMGZ IT's as LOUD as MY FALLOUT BOI CD!?" crushed to death sound, you'll want to get a limiter and squeeze the 'mix' to within an inch of it's life. Keep in mind, you won't gain respect around here having the loudest mix around, as you'll just end up another victim of the 'loudness war' (google is your friend).

Have fun!

*edit: Oh, and to answer your original question, you listen for what sounds bad, and you make it sound good! :D

wow steve is a nice guy

i'll expand on that , i'll help you ...

most people around here don't like me very much but that's because I talk a lot of shit and don't make much sense most of the time.

but i can help you.

contrary to what Steve says:

"because no two recordings are quite the same: most aren't even similar."

each instrument has a source sound with corresponding harmonics at whole multiples up and down the frequency scale.

now each instrument has and it's own distinct source signal which can be traced.

if the recording was done with Two Room mics. you are at a disadvantage.

if the song is of a higher frequency
i would cut everything at about 200hz.
then compress the rest to pull the ambience in, not too much then after that the rest is up to you.

if it's a more low tone song I’d cut at accurately 80hz and pull the rest at different levels post compression.

Please don't listen to him, he has no idea what he's talking about.

Seriously, I think he's got mental problems. He claims to be a producer, yet doesn't know what a "key" is (and by his post, it would appear he doesn't know what a frequency is either). Check his posting history (click on his name and you'll get there), people constantly have no idea what he's talking about. If it has to come down to it, we can compare mixes (including live mixes I've done), but it'd be easier just to ignore the crazy bastard.

Try using an eq band with a tight Q pattern to find the frequencies you dont want to hear, then dip them out.

I find that with live recordings its much easier to get a good sound by subtracting, than by adding.

-Chris

Noob

well I am not a complete noob..heh..I have been using protools for almost 3 years now.I just haven't really been on this site much, cuz luckly I have had fantastic local help from my bestest friend finster .:p

Finster, Looks like you taught me well., cuz i already did what you suggested with the EQ by dipping out the mud. then i just put a bit of compression on it ..sounds quite good for what it is.

Thank you all for you input..
hope the other two of you can work out your issues.,.LOL
i suppose thats why is a forum eh?

Ciao
ms. A

Back