edits/crossfades

Wireneck

Hi everyone, I switched to Pro tools 7.4 (from Adobe Audition) a few months ago and have recently begun work on some guitar tracks. A friend loaned me some pro tools manuals from his time at full sail but I am still having trouble making "punch in's" sound clean (No pops or clicks). In audition it automatically crossfaded based on a pre determined CF time whenever you punched in.
I have been using the Ctrl+F function to create fades (im on windows xp) in between regions but in a few spots in my session it tells me I need to adjust the boundaries. When I tell it to adjust, sometimes no fade will appear? I am thinking that I am possibly going about this wrong but the books I have don't really lay out a "method" for editing these fades as much as it tells "how" to fade.
Can someone offer me some insight as to why the fade might not appear or perhaps tell me an easier method to do this?

thanks in advance.

Benny, that helps a lot to see why it won't crossfade but I am still a little confused about how I should approach this. Does this mean that I should set punch points slightly past where I want the punch to end, in order to CF or am I approaching this all wrong?

If you're punching in and out, make sure you leave plenty of head & tail space, so that you can have your fade as long/short as it needs to be...

you pretty much have it...and Mess is right. You just need to leave yourself some space. Also, know that you can set a pre/post-roll time when you set your punch ins. And Pro Tools records audio even if you're just playing back a record enabled track. Therefore, when you pre-roll a track to punch something in, you can still trim back the region and see any audio that you may need. This helps with cross fades too.
So say you wanted to punch in measures 8 through 10. You select measures 8-10, set a 2 bar pre-roll and PT would start playing from measure 6 and start recording at measure 8. Then you just use the trim tool and can move the start of the region back to measure 6 if you wanted to.

ok sweet, I have been using the pre-roll but I had no idea that Pt's was recording in that space. So all I need to do is extend the region a little bit with the trim tool to correct my crossfades. Thanks for the advice fellas!

or you could select quick punch and then start playing back the track and hit the 3 key on your number pad when you want to record. then drag the regions back and forth wherever you want when you are done. there's no need to be precious with it since it's non-destructive recording.

or you could select quick punch and then start playing back the track and hit the 3 key on your number pad when you want to record. then drag the regions back and forth wherever you want when you are done. there's no need to be precious with it since it's non-destructive recording.

only problem is if you're the person recording and controlling Pro Tools at the same time....that's when it gets a bit tricky ;)

Back