Questions about the MR-8 (upgrading from a Tascam 488)

DamienC

Hey. I've decided it's time to move on to something better than my old Tascam 488. I've been looking at other 8-tracks and the MR-8 looks good both in terms of price and functionality, but there's a few things that I was wondering about before I take the plunge and pick one up.

I'm used to my 488's built in mixer, and obviously the MR-8 doesn't have one. With my 488, I'd lay down all the tracks and then mix them with the onboard mixer, then ran a line out to my PC's line-in jack and made a .WAV file with a program called Goldwave. I've read some posts and it seems like with the MR-8 I'll have to mix down to some multitracking program on my computer, which is fine by me. One of my concerns is, which programs work the best for this purpose? I have a copy of Cool Edit Pro 2 lying around somewhere, so I wouldn't mind using that. Money is a concern so I'd rather not have to buy anything more than the MR-8 itself.

Any suggestions?

waves

well, the MR-8 does have a mixer. There's no EQ or routing, but it DOES mix.

that being said, you can get audio out of the MR-8 in one of three ways.

You can do just as you did before and take the analog out and go to the computer.

You can also take a S/PDIF stereo out into the computer.

But....here is what you are looking for.... Fostex has a program on their website called wave manager. You can use it to move each individual track onto the computer for usage in a multi track program.

most folks 'round these parts recommend a program called "N-Tracks". It's about $50.00 (not bad) www.fasoft.com (i think)

i dont do computer recording, i go the SIB route for personal reasons, so i cant really tell you much else about the process.

good luck and happy recording

So where is this Wave Manager? ...and what is it good for?

I just bought 2 2gb jaz drives(internal/external), and some discs (which was surprisingly only about $50 total), and I plan to transfer tracks that way, but would like to know about this program you're talking about (can't find it on Fostex's site).

mr8

the jazz will not work with the mr8, use usb to transfer fules, unless you have windows 98 then you need a card reader, have to use wav manager to transfer files

Oh nod, I was talking about the VF-16. Was just curious if this Wave Manager works with that as well...

Back