miking voice with fostex

robjh22

I know this belongs in the mike forum, but I don't know anyone there and needed to check in here as I've been away a while. So ...

How is everyone? Busy Fosteching, I hope. Had this notion about mikes as I was recording today:

Probably just me, but I use my condensers to mike my guitar only. I've been singing thru my sm57. For whatever reason, it just sounds better. I sing on key but have a lot of (to me) faintly unpleasant overtones or rasps or something in my voice, and the condensers are either too detailed or I just don't know how to use them. One other thing: probably just me, but I need to relax when I sing, and there's something about holding the sm57 in my hand and just wailing into it that is ... relaxing somehow. Who knows. I like the result. I probably could ahv elearned to mike EVERYTHING with that 57, or maybe 2, and saved some money. Live and learn.

P.s. you guys are killing me with this eq business: I eq the guitar a little, but don't really know what I'm doing; just trimming the treble a little here, trimming the bass of my booming martin d35 there, and just save the result when it sounds right. You guys sound like rocket scientists by comparison.
Maybe i need to go to a clinic.

In my very limited experience recording I have came to one conclusion. This may be because of the condenser that I bought or it maybe just condensers and my voice in general. I recorded my first solo CD on the MR8 using a Shure Beta 58a dynamic mic. It is known to be a great live mic. I have since bought a MXL V67 condenser and have been recording with it. It seems I got better results out of the Beta 58 dynamic. With the condenser I am having to tweak the eqs much more to get a "full" vocal. Just a perception I wanted to add that your post made me think of.

mics

yea we use the 57 beta live, but those are great mics, ill bet you get great sound with the beta 58, you can get great results with nothing but a 57 or 58 , condensors can be overrated in my opinion, although i do use one, not as much as my sm57.....

A good mic is a good mic, whether it is dynamic, condenser, ribbon, etc. The sm57 and 58 are good dynamic mics and seems to be a workhorse mic everyone has. IMHO though, the best starter budget mic out there is the SP B1 for around 80 bucks. It is good on acoustic, guitar cabs, vox, whatever else. You might want to look into one of those.

mics

we have good mics, its the fact that condensrs pick up so much more of the sound, if there are problems with the singers technique or abilities, condensors make those problems sounds worse.....

where a 57 or 58 will give a little more leway in the singers abilities....

Back